how to configure Lion to use HD3000 driver?

This is a discussion on how to configure Lion to use HD3000 driver? within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Hello, I have a new mac mini mid 2011 with i5 and HD3000 in-CPU graphics. It is my first mac so at first I did ...

Member #

Question how to configure Lion to use HD3000 driver?

Hello,

I have a new mac mini mid 2011 with i5 and HD3000 in-CPU graphics. It is my first mac so at first I did not noticed anything very unusual but over time I wondered why some Lion features are so very slow. Digging here and there I found that my system does not utilize graphics acceleration and I have huge resolution so... :(

The easiest way to see the problem turn out to download from app store the free "OpenGL Extension Viewer 4.0" application. It detect only "Apple Software Renderer" and can execute test successfully but with ~5fps.

Later I have learned how to enable the root account. Having that I did listed loaded kexts, I had only the:
    0x3a000 0x3a000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB (7.1.4) <71 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 1>
    so I loaded manually the HD3000 kext and it did loaded successfully:
    0xe0000 0xe0000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics (7.1.4) <72 71 9 7 5 4 3 1>

but now the two drivers were loaded side by side and the HD3000 seemed to not do anything (still only SW renderer). Trying to unload the SNB kext I crashed the system and had to power cycle.

I believe I should have the HD3000 driver loaded by the system as this is the graphics embedded inside the i5 processor in my mac mini, but if for some reason the system does not want to use it how can I configure the system manually to load and use the HD3000 driver at boot time?

Just as a side note, I tried to clean the hdd and reinstall the Lion, nothing changed. I think that the problem appeared after I accepted EFI firmware update, but I am not 100% sure if the graphics worked before.

Does anyone know how to configure the driver loading scheme in OS X (Lion)?

Many thanks for any help.
    Last edited by l..k; 01-18-2012 at 04:51 PM.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I'll tell you the truth on this...

I also know that there is another update that just may solve this issue VERY shortly coming out, hopefully.

I'm just wondering ig it is a update, or an incompatible issue.. I'll investigate as well.

Haven't really ran across this in the past. but, here goes...

Try here to see if the configuring here will work...: AMD Support Search

If not, I have another trick up my sleeve..... Let me know, as me and the Mac Mini are not exactly on the greatest terms lately...

Good luck, and I hope it solves some if not all of your issues.

Scott
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    Intel HD3000 is the integrated CPU graphic named SandyBridge. I have no AMD HD 3000 inside my mac mini.

Anyway, when I go to "About This Mac" it shows correctly "Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB", but the GL driver do not work :(

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    A lot of things I heard of in the past have to do with either core extensions, or extensions.. Esp. when fairly green at it.... No offense, as I am still in learning mode with Open GL myself.
    So, it's a work in progress for the two of us, unless a bigger wig so to say steps in about now, which would help., So please bear with me here....
    More reading material I am trying to get to, but real busy at this moment in time...

Common Mistakes - OpenGL.org

OpenGL Extensions - OpenGL.org
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I know you say you are running a Mac Mini, but something I can't add up here...

You are NOT running Boot Camp, correct???

Just an external H.D??
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyscott21 View Post
    I know you say you are running a Mac Mini, but something I can't add up here...

You are NOT running Boot Camp, correct???

Just an external H.D??
    Thanks, for the attention sprkyscott21. But sorry to say, I do not understand what you are talking about... are you a human or just a bot? I have not mentioned learning OpenGL or anything like that, I just found that the problem why my mac is so horribly slow is because it does not use any graphic acceleration.

What do you mean by running Boot Camp? I have a stock mac mini - something like in this review Mac mini review (mid 2011) -- Engadget

There is only internal HDD. no eSata port for any external HDD. Strictly speaking I have just the silver box with HDMI display and USD keyboard and mouse connected. Nothing more. When I press the power button, I wait a little till the gray screen vanish and my desktop appear - is the gray screen a Boot Camp? Does it matter anyhow?

I have already found that I can start my mac holding Command-V and then instead of the plain gray screen the kernel boot logs appear.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Nope no robot here sorry..

I just wasn't making sense with what you were saying. Everytime you mentioned the HD3000, I was thinking it was either an Ext. H.D. or a graphics card for windows using boot camp thru your mac....

There's the open open gl here in your first quote: The easiest way to see the problem turn out to download from app store the free "OpenGL Extension Viewer 4.0" application. It detect only "Apple Software Renderer" and can execute test successfully but with ~5fps.
    When I was reading 5 frames per second, I was really thinking either an update with Apple, or, if you study it enough and read this here: Boot Camp partitions not working after installing OS X Lion | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

You might understand where I was coming from.....

And yes, I am sorta Dyslexiate at times, but usually the people that get to know me understand that... Sorry, for confusion....

Plus, That subject I am by far NOT an expert on what-so-ever...

But, it looks like the other thread may of helped out I hope.

Again, sorry for confusion... Scott
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Member #
    I see, sorry. Anyway, it seems like you are the only one hero keeping this forum alive.

Strictly speaking the code names gets easily confused when many companies uses the same code name for its product. Going back to the topic I am talking about plain Mac OS X problem - well maybe it is OS X problem, maybe EFI problem or maybe Hardware problem but I am just looking for an answer: How to fix it or how to find what is wrong and why it cannot be fixed in software configuration?

I found a Mac forum at apple.com, hope that would be better hit. Anyway I found there a post which will explain you any doubts about HD3000 - hope the link works without registering at apple http://developer.apple.com/graphicsi...1072_Core.html
    Last edited by l..k; 01-19-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Yes defiantly one can get lost with all of what you had said...

I openly admitted I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed on that subject, sorry, but I did do a lot of searching, eventually
    , we would have ran across it though, eventually......

Sory It took to long and hope all works our with your question there, but don't forget us here though...

A great group of members here always willing to take their shirt off their back for ya...
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Remove Ads

Ads