Changing my BLANK password to another password

This is a discussion on Changing my BLANK password to another password within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; I have a MacBook Pro 15" i7 with OSX Lion. I bought it nearly a year ago and all is fine. However, I have a ...

Member #

Changing my BLANK password to another password

I have a MacBook Pro 15" i7 with OSX Lion. I bought it nearly a year ago and all is fine. However, I have a question regarding my BLANK password.

When I bought the MBP, I was unprepared (I know, I should have been prepared) to make a password to start the system. The sales agent said it is OK to just leave it blank. I did so. Now, when I want to install software or any other admin-like function, I simply hit the return key.

I know there is a process to CHANGE a password. However, I never actually created one....or at least that is how I see it.

I have been told that it is simple to start using a password. Just go to the System Users and Groups and enter change password. When the system then asks for the current password, just hot enter, and follow the remaining directions.

My question is simply, will this work? It makes sense that it will, since a MBP which is sold to someone, could easily have the password changed to BLANK so the new owner can make their own password.

Why I am concerned is the possibility that I begin to make the change and hit enter and then get locked out.
    MikeeW
    Leyte, Philippines
    MacBook Pro i7
    OSX 10.7.3
    Time Capsule

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads