Mountain Lion sleep issues

This is a discussion on Mountain Lion sleep issues within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Since installing ML on the imac, I've noticed that it now takes a long time for the mac to wake from being asleep. Whereas Snow ...

Member #

Mountain Lion sleep issues

Since installing ML on the imac, I've noticed that it now takes a long time for the mac to wake from being asleep. Whereas Snow Leopard would take 2-5s, ML takes more like 20s. That's just annoying. Any idea why this would be? I'm not sure whether it's the waking from sleeping that's taking so long, or whether it's just delaying the display from turning back on.

However, it has also crashed on me. iTunes was playing music, and the display turned off as I hadn't touched the computer in a few minutes. When I wanted to turn it back on, nothing would wake it up, and pressing F8 to pause the music had no effect. I eventually had to resort to holding down the power button for a hard reset, after waiting for about 3 minutes, pressing the keyboard and clicking the mouse. Anyone else encountered similar problems?

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thugsb View Post
    Since installing ML on the imac, I've noticed that it now takes a long time for the mac to wake from being asleep. Whereas Snow Leopard would take 2-5s, ML takes more like 20s. That's just annoying. Any idea why this would be? I'm not sure whether it's the waking from sleeping that's taking so long, or whether it's just delaying the display from turning back on.

However, it has also crashed on me. iTunes was playing music, and the display turned off as I hadn't touched the computer in a few minutes. When I wanted to turn it back on, nothing would wake it up, and pressing F8 to pause the music had no effect. I eventually had to resort to holding down the power button for a hard reset, after waiting for about 3 minutes, pressing the keyboard and clicking the mouse. Anyone else encountered similar problems?
    I had that problem with Lion, had to power off and on again. But only had ML since thursday so far so good has been waking ok, was hoping ML would be an end to the coma state, will wait and see....
    iPhone 5 
    iPad Air 2 ❤
    iMac 21.5

Member #
    I'm having the same issue on my iMac, when waking from sleep the screen takes about 20 seconds to come on this didn't happen with Snow Leopard and Lion. Also sometimes it will be unresponsive and won't shut down apart from that everything else is fine, hopefully Apple will release a software update that will resolve these issues.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    I did a clean installation of Mountain Lion and then used Migration Assistant to migrate my files.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thedecmyster View Post
    I'm having the same issue on my iMac, when waking from sleep the screen takes about 20 seconds to come on this didn't happen with Snow Leopard and Lion. Also sometimes it will be unresponsive and won't shut down apart from that everything else is fine, hopefully Apple will release a software update that will resolve these issues.
    My mac was going into coma when I was on Lion but no problems since M/Lion fingers crossed.....I did see somewhere to try plugging something in the back like a wired mouse and it was suppose to wake her up. But didn't have a wired mouse so couldn't try it...the only thing I could do was turn it off at the back and back on again :( But hasn't happened yet on ML.
    iPhone 5 
    iPad Air 2 ❤
    iMac 21.5

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I'm thinking in the migration of the files, maybe something inside of there went corrupt possibly??

I think there is something corrupted in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist when you upgraded.

Let me dwell on this a bit & c what I come up.
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    In the backrooms I have found this.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3604

Are you using SSD or how old is your iMac?

SSD IS causing some problems out there I know that much.
    Mac Pro '08
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro

Remove Ads

Ads