Mavericks Beta

This is a discussion on Mavericks Beta within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Thats Huge: Mavericks...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mavericks Beta

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thats Huge: Mavericks

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Boot Your Mac Into Mavericks Beta From A USB Drive

Are you a registered developer with Apple? Do you want to try out Mavericks without risking your entire Mac to a potentially wonky version of OS X? I haven’t seen any major issues, yet, but that doesn’t mean that mission critical softaware you rely on will work in Mavericks beta.

So, here’s the solution. Boot up from a USB stick that has been configured as a bootable OS X Mavericks drive. Here’s how.

The super smart folks at OS X Daily lay it all out, nice and simple. I’m using their stellar guide to inform this post, as there’s no reason to re-invent the wheel. Go give them a look; they’ve got some great stuff over there.

That said, let’s start in with getting Mavericks beta onto a USB drive. You’ll need at least an 8 G USB stick, or any other external hard drive that you can completely erase and use for this purpose. Also, make sure the Mac you’re using is new enough to run Mavericks beta, too. There’s a list on the Apple.com if you’re unsure.

Head over to the Apple Developer site, sign in with your Apple ID, and download a copy of OS X Mavericks beta. Don’t install it, though.

Connect your USB drive and then launch Disk Utility from the Utilities folder, which is in the Applications folder. Click on the USB drive on the left there, and click on the Partition tab. Select a single partition, and click the options menu to choose “GUID” as the partition type. Hit OK, and then click the Apply button.

Now, in order to see hidden files, issue the following command in Terminal, which you can launch from the Utilities folder, as well:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE;\killall Finder;\say Files Revealed

Now you’ll want to find the OS X 10.9 Developer Preview app. It should be in the Applications folder. Right click (or Control-Click for you single-button mouse and trackpad users) and choose Show Package Contents from the resulting contextual menu. Open Contents, and then the SharedSupport folder.

You should see a self-mounting image called InstallESD.dmg; double click it to mount it like a regular disk. Open the now mounted disk (OS X Install ESD) image and right-click on BaseSystem.dmg. Choose Open to mount the image. If you don’t see it, you missed the step above to make hidden files visible.

Now drop back into Disk Utility and select BaseSystem.dmg from the left side, and click on the Restore tab. Set Source to BaseSystem.dmg, Destination to the USB drive (you can drag the USB drive icon into the box from the Finder, and then click the Restore button. Be sure to let it erase the drive with a quick confirmation button click.

When that process is done, head to the Finder and go to the newly made USB drive, and open System folder, then the Installation folder. Delete the file named Packages, and then leave the Finder window open.

Head back into the mounted OS X Install ESD drive and drag and drop the Packages folder from this disk to the Installation folder you just deleted the Packages alias from. Let stuff copy; it might take a few minutes.

Now the USB drive is ready to boot with. All you need to do is restart your Mac while holding the Option key down. When the list of available bootable drives appear, you should see your USB drive as an orange disk drive named OS X Base System 1. Click on it, and let it install from there.

7-18-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Set Default Font Choices For Messages You Send And Receive In Mavericks Beta

In the OS X 10.8 version of Messages on the Mac, you can set the background color of your own messages, and you can set the background color, font, and font color of anyone who sends you messages.

Now, though, in OS X Mavericks, you can do all those things, plus send messages in your own choice of font, as well as let your friends send you messages with their own font choices.

Here’s how to make that happen.

Launch Messages on the Mac you’re running OS X Mavericks beta on, and hit Command-Comma, or choose Preferences… from the Messages menu. Click on the Viewing tab at the top, or what used to be the Messages tab. The options in the View section look fairly similar, with a couple of subtle differences.

First, notice that you can now set your own font. Click on the My font popup menu and choose one of the three options there, or click on Other… to get the full font window.

Just below that, you’ll see the section for your friends’ font and message options. To see messages sent to you in the font, font color, and background color the sender intends, set the popup menu next to each option to Automatic. Now you’ll see what they mean you to see, though it’ll probably still be the default. Because who messes with these things, anyway, right? If you end up hating their font choices, then set them to something different here in these menus. Nice!

Pro tip – if you copy text from a document that has a specific font and style attached to it, pasting your text into Messages will now keep those format choices and send them along.

7-19-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple Releases OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 4 Amid Dev Center Crisis

Apple’s Dev Center has been down since Thursday, but that isn’t stopping the company from releasing new beta software to developers.

Earlier today, we cautioned that the hacking of the Dev Center could result in delayed updates to the iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks betas. But Apple has still pushed out the fourth developer preview of Mavericks today.

Until the Dev Center comes back online, developers won’t be able to login and directly download the new version of Mavericks. The update is only currently available in the Mac App Store for those already on a previous version of the beta operating system.

The third developer preview Mavericks came out two weeks ago. We’ll let you know if there’s anything of note in today’s version.

OS X Mavericks is slated for release this fall and includes new features like a tabbed Finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, Safari improvements, and a new Maps app. Developers can receive the update via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

7-22-13

www.macrumors.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Find And Enable Access For Assistive Devices In Mavericks Beta

My son has gotten significantly into Civilization V lately, and we bought him his own copy on sale at Steam yesterday. So, he was at his mom’s house, and I was at my house, and he wanted me to invite him to a private match.

In order to do so, I had to enable Assistive Devices, just like Steam has always asked players to do to help enable the overlays and multiplayer invite system. So I headed to the System Preferences, to the Accessibility preference pane, like always. Alas, there is no place there to click the familiar “Enable access for assistive devices” button. I looked high, I looked low. No dice. No enabling access for assistive devices, either.

So then I turned to Google.

A quick search turned up a post on TechRevue that explained where the assistive devices option had gone.

In Mavericks beta, you’ll need to launch System Preferences just like before, but then click on the Security and Privacy icon. Once there, click on the lock to make changes, entering your admin login info to do so. Click on the Privacy tab at the top of the window.

Now, click on the Accessibility tab over on the left-hand side of the Preferences window and you’ll see all the apps that require Assistive Devices to be enabled. The message above them says, “Allow the apps below to control your computer,” which is pretty misleading, but whatever.

Click on the checkbox next to the apps you want to enable to use with assistive devices, like Steam in the screenshot above. Boom! Now you’re cooking with gas Steam.

Once I did this, I was able to invite my son to a Civilization V game. And then? It had taken so long to figure this out, that he had to go. Sigh. Such is the life of a techno family.

7-23-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple releases OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 5, seeds OS X 10.8.5 build 12F33

Just over two weeks following the release of OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 4, Apple has seeded the 5th preview to developers via the Mac App Store Software Update tool.

Also released is OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 build 12F33. That build comes one week after the previous 10.8.5 seed. Safari 6.1 beta 5 has also been released for Mountain Lion.

OS X Mavericks, which is expected to be released this fall, includes multiple new features like a tabbed Finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, Safari improvements, and a new Maps app. Developers can receive the update via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

8-7-13

9to5mac.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Get Started With iBooks On Your Mac Using Mavericks Beta 5

When you update to OS X Mavericks beta 5, you might notice something rather exciting in your Applications folder: iBooks for Mac!

Double click on the iBooks icon to launch iBooks for Mac, and then click Agree on the iBooks Author Software agreement. You’ll see the iBooks splash screen as above. Click Get Started.

You’ll be asked to sign in with your Apple ID. Click on the blue Sign In button and enter your Apple ID and password. If you’re not ready to connect your Apple ID, click Not Now. When you do connect up, you’ll be able to get your purchase history from iCloud and sync your bookmarks, highlights, and notes you may have created on your iPad or iPhone over to your Mac.

At this point, I’m not seeing any of my previously purchased iBooks in the All Books tab at the top. If you click on Collections, you’ll see three categories: Purchased , Books, and PDFs.

To add a free book to your library, click on the Top Charts at the top of the iBooks for Mac window, and click on the Free button. You’ll see a list of the top free books currently on offer in the iBooks store. I chose the iPad User Guide from Apple, clicked on the purchase button, and it downloaded to my Mac lickety split. I haven’t seen it pop up on my iPad, connected with the same Apple ID, just yet, but I’m sure that’s coming.

If there are no books in your iBooks library as well, you’ll be prompted to go to the iBooks store. Click the button to do so. If you’ve used the iBooks store on your iPad, the screen will be familiar, with various featured books in a carousel of titles across the top, and the Hot This Week iBooks below that. Scrolling down, you’ll see New Books for Kids, then New in Fiction, Popular Collections, New in Mysteries & Thrillers, and so on.

If you scroll completely to the bottom, you’ll see Made for iBooks: Bestsellers. These are books made with iBooks Author, the agreement you agreed to in the first step, above. Just like iTunes, there’s a column to the right with Quick Links, and Top Books lists in both free and paid versions. There’s also a column for New York Times Bestsellers in both Fiction and Nonfiction varieties, and More to Explore below that.

8-8-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Drag And Drop To Tag Your Files In OS X Mavericks Beta

One of the cool new features of OS X Mavericks is the ability to tag files in the Finder, making Finder labels a bit more useful. Want to sort a bunch of files for your upcoming vacation into one place? Make a tag for “vacation,” and then add the tag per file with a right-click as we showed you a while back.

Want to track some of those vacation files with the destinations they pertain to? Go ahead and tag them with a second tag. Can’t do that with a label.

While it’s easy to right-click on a file and choose a tag, it’s even easier to add tags with a simple Mac OS standard move. Here’s how.

Open up a Finder window, and place the file you want to tag on the Desktop, just for this example. Now, instead of right-clicking on that file, simply drag it to one of the tags in the Finder sidebar, provided you’re using OS X Mavericks.

Now you’ll see the tag color next to the file name in the Finder. You can drag and drop any file into the sidebar tags listing from pretty much anywhere else, from all the different view options, whether you prefer list, icons, columns, or cover flow.

Want to add a second tag to that file? Simply drag it into a second tag there in the Finder sidebar, and you’re good to go. Simple and useful.

If you want to get rid of any of the tags on a specific file, though, you’ll need to right-click on it, and then click on the tag you’d like to remove.

8-12-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple releases OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 6

Apple has seeded the sixth Developer Preview of the upcoming OS X Mavericks. The new preview is available via Software Update in the Mac App Store. This preview comes a few weeks after Developer Preview 5. Preview 5 added iBooks to Mavericks.

Also available today for developers are updated Remote Desktop apps, an updated SDK, and a new Safari 6.1 seed for OS X Mountain Lion.

Mavericks will be available for the general public this fall.

8-21-13

9to5mac.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Merge Several Finder Windows Into One Tabbed Window With OS X Mavericks Beta

Ever end up with a lot of Finder windows floating around your Mac screen? In previous versions of Mac OS X, the choice was to close them all with a keyboard shortcut, Option-Command-W, which will end all your Finder suffering in one short tap.

In Mavericks beta, that still works. Yet Apple has also added another way to deal with multiple Finder windows: merging them. Here’s how.

The trick works because of Mavericks’ new Finder window Tabs feature, which takes a cue from modern browsers like Safari, and lets you open a bunch of tabs in a Finder window, in lieu of a bunch of windows.

When you’re on your Mac that’s running OS X Mavericks, and you have a bunch of windows open, simply navigate up to the Window menu and select Merge All Windows. Boom — all the open windows will become a tab in one single Finder window, decreasing clutter instantly.

There isn’t a keyboard shortcut yet, but I hope Apple drops one in there to make this behavior as easy as the close all windows one.

8-22-13

Source

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads