Help: Bootcamp partition problem

This is a discussion on Help: Bootcamp partition problem within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; I recently got Windows 7 to put on my Mac. The only other program I've ever put on that's from Microsoft is Office for Mac ...

Member #

Help: Bootcamp partition problem

I recently got Windows 7 to put on my Mac. The only other program I've ever put on that's from Microsoft is Office for Mac but that's totally not the same thing. I have a Samsung Charge and came from a Fascinate. There is a program called Odin that is PC based only so this is one reason I decided to get Win7. When I go through Bootcamp to partition to get the process started I get the message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." In addition it says it must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Well, I've gone into Utilities>Disk Utility and looked at the various options but don't sure how to do that. I've never partitioned anything. I use TimeMachine with an external drive for backup.

I ran repair disk and it's fine. I've read elsewhere to do this with the OS disk. Still fine and still cannot complete the partition process. Help please. I'd really like to get this going...wanna mod my phone at home this weekend. Tired of hijacking someone else's computer.

Thanks!
    Fearless is not the absence of fear or being completely unafraid...it's living in spite of those things that scare you to death.

2. Ads

DrivetheGreen66
    Quote Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post
    I recently got Windows 7 to put on my Mac. The only other program I've ever put on that's from Microsoft is Office for Mac but that's totally not the same thing. I have a Samsung Charge and came from a Fascinate. There is a program called Odin that is PC based only so this is one reason I decided to get Win7. When I go through Bootcamp to partition to get the process started I get the message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." In addition it says it must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Well, I've gone into Utilities>Disk Utility and looked at the various options but don't sure how to do that. I've never partitioned anything. I use TimeMachine with an external drive for backup.

I ran repair disk and it's fine. I've read elsewhere to do this with the OS disk. Still fine and still cannot complete the partition process. Help please. I'd really like to get this going...wanna mod my phone at home this weekend. Tired of hijacking someone else's computer.

Thanks!
    That's a good reason to put win 7 on a Mac.

When I did bootcamp, to get office because I had to have the windows version. I had problems galore. I had to call Apple. It was that bad.

Anyway maybe someone with some more experience will chime in.

Good luck.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Member #
    Ugh! So not what I want to hear. I got the Apple Protection plan but pretty sure it ended in August. I need to check on that. I've found some answers here and there but they're way involved and hesitant to follow them.

I'll keep surfing and probably give our Apple store a call tomorrow. Thanks for your reply...like you said, I hope another person will have some guidance.

tappin'
    Fearless is not the absence of fear or being completely unafraid...it's living in spite of those things that scare you to death.

DrivetheGreen66
    Ugh! So not what I want to hear. I got the Apple Protection plan but pretty sure it ended in August. I need to check on that. I've found some answers here and there but they're way involved and hesitant to follow them.

I'll keep surfing and probably give our Apple store a call tomorrow. Thanks for your reply...like you said, I hope another person will have some guidance.

tappin'
    Try to go to your local Apple store and visit the "genius bar"

Sent from my Droid Bionic via Tapatalk.

Member #
    Update: After lots of reading all I could find was to erase and reformat my disk to Mac OS X (Journaled). This was the error I kept getting when I tried to partition but the weird thing is that is the format I have. So I decided to test something I haven't read anywhere and draw from my years of Mac experience. :) I booted with my Snow Leopard install disk and chose to erase unused space. Figured it couldn't hurt to try. This took some time, but not nearly as long as it would take to erase, reformat, and then restore my whole system. (I back up to Time Machine every few days.)

Voila! Windows is installing at this moment! *patting myself on the back for my ingenuity and eating a reward cookie*

tappin'

DrivetheGreen66
    Update: After lots of reading all I could find was to erase and reformat my disk to Mac OS X (Journaled). This was the error I kept getting when I tried to partition but the weird thing is that is the format I have. So I decided to test something I haven't read anywhere and draw from my years of Mac experience. :) I booted with my Snow Leopard install disk and chose to erase unused space. Figured it couldn't hurt to try. This took some time, but not nearly as long as it would take to erase, reformat, and then restore my whole system. (I back up to Time Machine every few days.)

Voila! Windows is installing at this moment! *patting myself on the back for my ingenuity and eating a reward cookie*

tappin'
    Glad to hear that out worked out.

Sent from my Droid Bionic via Tapatalk.

Administrator
    Brisbane, Australia 18 hours ahead of USA West Coast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The problem is your drive is so fragmented you cannot partition the drive using boot camp back up using super duper reformat drive then restore then partition again and all will work. Personally apple version of office works seamlessly with the latest windows, I have more then 400 sites using office mac with out problems so I do not understand your issues with office Mac

col.bris
    Administrator

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.bris View Post
    The problem is your drive is so fragmented you cannot partition the drive using boot camp back up using super duper reformat drive then restore then partition again and all will work. Personally apple version of office works seamlessly with the latest windows, I have more then 400 sites using office mac with out problems so I do not understand your issues with office Mac
    It makes sense the disk was fragmented so pretty sure "erasing" unused space in Disk Utility from my install disk is what did the trick. Lots easier than doing a complete erase and restore. I didn't put Windows 7 on just for Office if that's what you meant in your post. I don't have any problems with Office for Mac (never have) and have used it since the first version came out. It works seamlessly with anyone using Office apps regardless of whether they originated on a Mac or a PC.

Anyway, I'm all set up! I was able to go on the Windows side and rock my Samsung Droid Phone with the latest and greatest build. Hello Gingerbread! As I mentioned in the beginning, this can only be done with a program called Odin that is strictly PC based.

Remove Ads

Ads