School Mac wont boot

This is a discussion on School Mac wont boot within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2012 OSX 10.9 Mavericks So I was playing League of Legends earlier today on my shcool macbook, and it crashed (froze). ...

Member #

Thumbs up School Mac wont boot

Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2012
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks

So I was playing League of Legends earlier today on my shcool macbook, and it crashed (froze). I had to manually reboot by holding the power button. When I tried to boot it again, it got stuck at the loading screen for about ten minutes. So I tried to manually reboot again, and the same thing happened.
    This time I tried to boot into Single User mode, to do a disk check (/sbin/fsck -fy), And I got the message: disk0s2: I/O error. **The Volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely. I`ve run the command several times, but still no luck.
    Then I tried booting into safe mode. It starts loading but when the loading bar is about halfway, it disappears and turns off the system. After that it tries to boot into safe mode when normally booting. I dont have any Time Machine recovery either.
    So Im wondering if it`s something I can do without losing data, programs and settings, the ICT Department at my school has some standard settings on every machine like proxy settings, user accounts, and so on. Since I`m studying Media & Communications we also have all the adobe software, finalcut etc. programs that are licensed on my school. I would prefer not to return it to the ICT Department, because I`ve done some modifications that we`re not allowed to like: Deleting the /var/db/.applesetupdone from single user mode to gain admin access. Since this might be a HDD problem, would it be possible to backup the data on the current hdd and swap the SSD 2.5 drive I have in my system at home (PC) formatting it, and installing OSX on that?

Any Help is appreciated!
    Sorry for bad English, I`m from Norway.
    Last edited by zygox; 12-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I am sorry to have to say this, but I don't think that anyone will really want to get involved in this issue. Not because we don't want to help you, but seeing the Mac does not belong to you but to your school, offering advice here would make us partly culpable if the situation got any worse as a result. I would strongly advise taking it back to your ITC Department, confessing what you have done and letting them fix it. Yes, you will almost certainly get a wrap on the knuckles for what you have done, but that will be far better than trying to fix the problem yourself, making the problem worse and then having to take the machine back in a worse state.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 13.6

Remove Ads

Ads