Mavericks. How do I get Finder to remember window position and size?

This is a discussion on Mavericks. How do I get Finder to remember window position and size? within the Mac OS X forums, part of the Mac Software category; Is there any software that will give me options to get Finder to at least remember window size? I having to resize the window larger ...

Member #

Question Mavericks. How do I get Finder to remember window position and size?

Is there any software that will give me options to get Finder to at least remember window size? I having to resize the window larger every time I open it.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    OK, open a new Finder window by right-clicking the Finder icon and selecting New Finder Window. Next, set the size, position and view required without opening any folders or files. Then just immediately close the Finder window and any subsequent Finder Windows should have remembered your settings.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 13.6

Member #
    That didn't seem to work. I tried a few times.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PredaKing View Post
    That didn't seem to work. I tried a few times.
    Works for me....not quite sure why it shouldn't work for you.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 13.6

Member #

works

I did it and it didn't work doing a new windows. I opened the hard drive and resized that window and closed it. Then finder opened all new windows this size.

Member #
    It always opens in a small size for me. Has since I bought the laptop but googling I'm apparently not the only one, many mention it happened with the start of Mavericks from MLion.

Member #
    This happens to me too. It also occurs if you have multiple user accounts and switch from one user to another. Window sizes (especially browsers) are not remembered in Mavericks. This worked fine in Mtn Lion.
    This is particularly vexing since the other user on my Mac has difficulty resizing and moving windows.

Any suggestions welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frankg View Post
    This happens to me too. It also occurs if you have multiple user accounts and switch from one user to another. Window sizes (especially browsers) are not remembered in Mavericks. This worked fine in Mtn Lion.
    This is particularly vexing since the other user on my Mac has difficulty resizing and moving windows.

Any suggestions welcome.
    I just bought a new Mac mini i5 on the 3rd of this month and all windows retain size and position upon re-launch.. it's been that way since day 1 (I thought that was the default behavior).
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Member #

Switching user accounts in Mavericks does not retain window size or placement.

Quote Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
    I just bought a new Mac mini i5 on the 3rd of this month and all windows retain size and position upon re-launch.. it's been that way since day 1 (I thought that was the default behavior).

Relaunch works for me too. That is not the issue.

I have multiple user accounts on my iMac. When I switch to the secondary account (a non-computing, non-developer user), the browser window that was previously open in that account is put in the upper left-hand corner with a different window size. I get the same behavior with Chrome, Opera and Safari. I also get odd behavior with other window placement/sizing. Finder remembers its size, but not its x,y.

Oddly when I switch back to the primary account (my account), my own browser windows and other windows are fine.

Baffling. Its very frustrating. My only complaint so far of Mavericks.

Frank

Remove Ads

Ads