Seeking a simple movie editor? Try QuickTime Pro 7

This is a discussion on Seeking a simple movie editor? Try QuickTime Pro 7 within the Mac Video forums, part of the Mac Applications category; I have some video clips that Iíd like to lightly edit. For instance, I want to cut the soundtrack from one and replace it with ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Seeking a simple movie editor? Try QuickTime Pro 7

I have some video clips that Iíd like to lightly edit. For instance, I want to cut the soundtrack from one and replace it with a different sound file. On another, I want to copy 12 seconds and turn that bit into a separate movie. iMovie seems like overkill for these jobs. Can you recommend something simpler?

I can and will: QuickTime Player 7 Pro.

Wait. You can still buy that? And itís compatible with Mountain Lion?

Yes and it is. A little history.

At one time, for US$29 you could upgrade the version of QuickTime Player that shipped with your Mac to the Pro version. This version allowed you to cut video and/or audio segments from one movie and add them to another, scale elements when you added them, layer soundtracks, and add subtitles and text to your movies. As editors go, it wasnít the most intuitive thing on earth, but for those who knew how to use it, you could perform some common tasks quite easily.

Under the hood, QuickTime Player 7 Pro gives you some slick editing controls.

Then QuickTime Player X came along and spoiled the party. The current version of QuickTime Player lives up to its name by being a player rather than editor. The selection tools you find are awkward and a properties window for adjusting a movieís elements is absent. While it does allow you to capture audio and video (as well as your Macís screen), as an editor itís a complete zero.

Fortunately, Apple didnít kill version 7 Pro (though the company hardly touts it). As you suggest, Apple would likely point you to iMovie as the way to get these simple tasks done, but, as you also suggest, I believe itís more trouble than itís worth. Follow the link above, pungle up your US$29, and youíre well on your way to performing simple movie edits.

5-18-13

www.macworld.com

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads