Are you looking for an app to run windows apps?

This is a discussion on Are you looking for an app to run windows apps? within the Mac and Windows forums, part of the Mac Applications category; So you have either purchased a new mac and cant find that app you are so used to on windows (FlashFXP,Mirc to name a few) ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Are you looking for an app to run windows apps?

So you have either purchased a new mac and cant find that app you are so used to on windows (FlashFXP,Mirc to name a few) and cant find a good mac alternative or you like some windows games that you wont find for mac even though with the mac app store the mac is getting some good titles! or for what ever reason.

Here is a list of some apps you will be able to use windows applications on your mac that i will mention and see what one will suite you best,

Firstly I would like to tell you about "BootCamp" Now this is an app that is part of OsX so you do not need to purchase or download it separately. But it does require that you log out of OsX and log in to windows, personally i do not like this method as it would mean i would have to log in and out every time i use windows or mac osx but this is the best method for gamers who want the best gameplay with out lag like you will get from other methods of using windows on your machine and of course depending on your machines hardware.

It is easy to setup and the application can be found in the Utilities Folder in the applications. For further instructions on how to install please visit Apple - Support - Boot Camp.

The next few apps I am going to tell you about are very similar firstly (and my favourite) there is an app called vmware fusion. Now unlike bootcamp this app allows you to load windows while logged into your mac so you can have Unitary mode and run all the windows apps side by side with your mac ones or you can have it in a sperate window and this will allow you to minimise anytime you wish or even use it in full screen when needed, you can also set the application to share files between windows and mac so any file you download while in windows will also appear on your mac drive or if you prefer you can set it not to share files.

Now this method is not good for gamers because games usually lag pretty badly using vmware fusion and even some apps have done so with me trying to use flashFXP and of course depending on what version windows you install, I myself installed windows 7 ultimate. This application also allows you to dedicate X amount of ram and hard drive space to your windows partition so if you have a lot of ram to spare then the more the better when using windows.

Now this is not a free app but you can try it for free and i think well worth it if you dont plan on gaming of course :)

more info can be found here, VMware Fusion: Run Windows on Mac for Desktop Virtualization

Now the third method i want to tell you about is an app called parallels. This app works in a very similar way to vmware fusion that allows you to work with windows side by side with osx. I have not personally used it but some prefere it to vmware or bootcamp, If you have used it or do use it then feel free to share your views! :)

More information can be found here Virtualization & Automation Solutions for Desktops, Servers, Hosting, SaaS and if you wish to purchase or try the app.

Usually they say "save the best for last" but in this case i have saved the worse for last lol.

The final app i would like to tell you about is pretty useless but some manage to work with this app just fine! So the app is called "Darwine" and the app creates a program files and c:\ on your mac and installs and runs apps for windows, i would not recommend trying to play games and your lucky if the apps will run properly with out huge lag, also i would advise to set it to windows 95 mode if you plan to use it of course! This app is free but I do not recommend it at all.

More info and download can be found here, Darwine - Download.

So there is my list! if you have any other apps you know of that is worth a mention or anything to say about the ones i have mentioned please feel free to leave a comment I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by Unleashed; 07-22-2011 at 07:22 AM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Personally I use Parallels, it's really easy to setup and unlike Boot Camp (which I couldn't seem to set up on my iMac but could previously on my MacBook), it runs 'parallel' to Mac, hence the name, just click the F6 button to change back to your Mac which is still running untouched. I haven't had any problems with slow/choppy performance either which I was glad about.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for your input! I have never used the app at all as when i have needed windows the app i purchased was vmware fusion so i could not really say much about it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have used 2 things as Virtualisation software. VitualBox which is free and Parallels. I found with VirtualBox that it was a bit unstable and when upgrades came along it was a bit hard to set up. I tried Parallels with a free trial and decided it was much better, simple to set up and run. Purchased it and now have updated to V6. No problems at all
    iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.1
    New iPad (3) iOS 8.1.1
    iMac using Yosemite.
    MacBook Pro 9.2 running Yosemite.
    Apple TV 2nd Generation

Member #
    Yep, Parallels is the way to go. No issues that I've encountered, however, since I just downloaded Lion last week I haven't yet run Parallels, but its supposed to be OK if you use the latest version 6.

Member #
    This is something i really need...Thanks a lot for this post...

Remove Ads

Ads