Weird!

This is a discussion on Weird! within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; Last night for no apparent reason my MacBook Pro Retina started overheating, The keyboard was really hot and got even hotter towards the back where ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Poisonivy

Thread: Weird!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times

Weird!

Last night for no apparent reason my MacBook Pro Retina started overheating, The keyboard was really hot and got even hotter towards the back where the lid is hinged, The fans were running constantly which is what alerted me.
    I eventually reset the SMC and it was fine after that, I have no idea why it would overheat like that, I haven't installed anything new.
    Has anyone else had the same thing?
    MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Sierra
    iPad Pro- iOS 10
    iPhone 7 Plus

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    I don't own a laptop, but, was it sitting on something soft smothering it making it hot?? Or was it where it always was??

Maybe just a freak thing I am hoping..
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyscott21 View Post
    I don't own a laptop, but, was it sitting on something soft smothering it making it hot?? Or was it where it always was??

Maybe just a freak thing I am hoping..
    I was using it on my lap desk as always, I'm hoping too that it was just one of those weird things that happen for no reason
    MacBook Pro Retina - macOS Sierra
    iPad Pro- iOS 10
    iPhone 7 Plus

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Reviving an old thread Ivy, has it happend lately? (And yes, I am following you because you're at all the great places!)

The only time that happens with mine is when the ports are covered with something. Normally it's because I have a blanket on my legs that is covering the air vents. The fan kicks into over drive and I have to let it cool down. I have found the 2014 Pro does have a tendancy to get hot faster than my previous Pros. I just figured it's because of the size.
    My Current iDevices: Silver 256GB iPhone X | Gold 64GB (Jailbroken) iPhone 6S Plus | Ceramic Apple Watch | Space Grey iPad Mini 4th Gen | Rose Gold (Jailbroken) iPad 9.7" Pro | Space Grey iPad Pro 12" 128GB | White iPad Air 32GB (Work) | 2015 iMac 27" Loaded! | Mid 2014 MacBook Pro | 2010 Mac Mini | 64GB White iPod 3rd Gen | AirPort Extreme | and of course (2) 4th Gen Apple TV

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    Reviving an old thread Ivy, has it happend lately? (And yes, I am following you because you're at all the great places!)

The only time that happens with mine is when the ports are covered with something. Normally it's because I have a blanket on my legs that is covering the air vents. The fan kicks into over drive and I have to let it cool down. I have found the 2014 Pro does have a tendancy to get hot faster than my previous Pros. I just figured it's because of the size.
    Hi Scotty,
    It hasn't happened since, Nothing was covered, it was in the usual place, just one of those weird things that have no explanation I guess.

Mine is a late 2014 model, Fingers crossed that it was a one off

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonivy View Post
    Hi Scotty,
    It hasn't happened since, Nothing was covered, it was in the usual place, just one of those weird things that have no explanation I guess.

Mine is a late 2014 model, Fingers crossed that it was a one off
    Hopefully. Since it sounds like we got the same laptop, I hope it was a one off thing too ;)
    My Current iDevices: Silver 256GB iPhone X | Gold 64GB (Jailbroken) iPhone 6S Plus | Ceramic Apple Watch | Space Grey iPad Mini 4th Gen | Rose Gold (Jailbroken) iPad 9.7" Pro | Space Grey iPad Pro 12" 128GB | White iPad Air 32GB (Work) | 2015 iMac 27" Loaded! | Mid 2014 MacBook Pro | 2010 Mac Mini | 64GB White iPod 3rd Gen | AirPort Extreme | and of course (2) 4th Gen Apple TV

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    Hopefully. Since it sounds like we got the same laptop, I hope it was a one off thing too ;)
    Well if it happens to yours just reset the SMC, That should fix it.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)
    Last edited by Poisonivy; 04-22-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    scottysize likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads