Cannot remove back of MacBook Pro

This is a discussion on Cannot remove back of MacBook Pro within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; I have a 13'' late 2013 MacBook Pro. I wish to expand the memory from 8g to 16g. Therefore I need to remove the back ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Parrori1

Thread: Cannot remove back of MacBook Pro

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Cannot remove back of MacBook Pro

I have a 13'' late 2013 MacBook Pro. I wish to expand the memory from 8g to 16g. Therefore I need to remove the back of the laptop to replace the ram.

I also have a foot missing on the computer and intend to replace it. That also requires the back of the computer to be removed.

Problem is that I can't get the darned screws loosened. I am using a screwdriver with a Philips 00 head size and the screws still don't budge. I think I may have stripped several of the screws trying to get them out.

Does anyone know a solution for this?

I may have to take my MacBook to the friendly Apple store tomorrow.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    They are often very tight, and you need a good quality 00 headed screwdriver to remove them. If you have stripped the screws like you say, then I don't know what to suggest....a trip to the Apple Store may be a good idea. Be aware that once inside the case, many of the screws used are not Philips heads but Torx heads...T6 and T8 I think.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Before i had my MacBook Pro retina I had a late 2011 MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, I wanted to increase it to 8GB, I took it to an Apple retailer in our town who did it for me the same day for a reasonable amount.
    If you take my advice you will leave it to the experts.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. After sleeping on it, I have decided to let the professionals do the work.
    Poisonivy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Oooookkkk, after talking to an Apple tech on the phone, i went to the Apple store and presented my MacBook. As soon as he looks at it, he notes that it is the newer 2013 model with retina display. That (retina) didn't come up on the phone call. Anyway, this model has the ram permanently installed and cannot be replaced. In addition the foot I needed had also been constructed differently from the ones I had bought, and so did not fit my model. So even if I had removed the screws, I wouldn't have able to accomplish anything.

Not only that, the SCREWS had also changed on the new retina model and were not philips 00. The tech man unscred all the screws in less than 30 seconds with a new spple provided screwdriver.

Maybe they changed to screws so no one could take off the back, since there wasnt much one could do. Anyway, if I ever need a battery i will let them change it.
    Last edited by Parrori1; 05-14-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads