Adware removal and browser fix

This is a discussion on Adware removal and browser fix within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; I recently made the mistake of downloading an update to Adobe Flash Player while watching a tube video. After doing so, I started getting interruptions ...

Member #

Adware removal and browser fix

I recently made the mistake of downloading an update to Adobe Flash Player while watching a tube video. After doing so, I started getting interruptions and new windows would open up. They would typically be for Mac cleaner or something to that effect. When I go to use my search engine (Google), the search engine is automatically re routed through Yahoo, not by my choice. My default website was changed as well. I have fixed the default website back and gotten rid of most of the issues (I think), with these exceptions: 1. The browser is still changing to Yahoo although I want it to be Google. 2. There is an application called ShoppyTool that I tried deleting. The application will not delete as it says it is running.

How can I fix these problems and be sure I don't have other adware issues going on in the background? Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by eaper1; 10-12-2016 at 06:57 PM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Run Malwarebytes.

Get rid of MacKeeper and anything that looks like it.

Download OnyX and run the Automation. Don't mess with any settings you are not comfortable with. Make sure you download the version for your OS.

Get rid of any and all virus scanners. You don't need them.

I actually logged on to post a warning that I just heard about concerning Adobe Flash Player. It has yet another vulnerability. Either update it, or get rid of it. Use Chrome for YouTube and keep it updated.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Your best bet is to get rid of Flash altogether.
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Remove Ads

Ads