Advise

This is a discussion on Advise within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; Greetings. I am a Mac rookie and need expert direction. My daughter will be going of to college next fall and we've decided to go ...

Thread: Advise

Member #

Advise

Greetings. I am a Mac rookie and need expert direction. My daughter will be going of to college next fall and we've decided to go with a MacBook Pro due to her chosen field. She will major in Agriculture and Medical Biotechnology and hopefully move into the Pharmacy program. What are some of the things we need to be looking for when we purchase the computer? There are so many choices. We are not looking for the $3000 top of the line one mind you. After visiting a Mac store it seems we are looking at around $2500 for one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by pkf4bucs; 11-20-2017 at 02:17 PM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    OK, it is very difficult to advise without knowing what your daughter will actually be using her Mac for. Any of the current line up will be more than adequate for word processing, web browsing and email. It would only be necessary to push the specs if she needs to use high-end graphical software, in which case one of the top 15" models with the discrete graphics chip would be a more sensible option. At the end of the day, buy the best model you can afford.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Sierra (10.12.4)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Sierra (10.12.4)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 10.3.2
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 10.3.2

Remove Ads

Ads