Mavericks to Mojave

This is a discussion on Mavericks to Mojave within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; Anyone tried upgrading from Mavericks to Mojave? I tried it today. It still hasn't worked. I'm getting various error messages. Just wondering if anyone has ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JezzerP

Thread: Mavericks to Mojave

Member #

Mavericks to Mojave

Anyone tried upgrading from Mavericks to Mojave? I tried it today. It still hasn't worked. I'm getting various error messages. Just wondering if anyone has done this successfully yet, and if so, what should I look out for?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    What type and vintage of Mac do you have? First thing to do would be to check it’s compatible:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
    J. A. likes this.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.2)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.2)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.1.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.1.1

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JezzerP View Post
    What type and vintage of Mac do you have? First thing to do would be to check it’s compatible:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
    Hi @JezzerP,

It's a mid 2012 MacBook Pro, 13", with the non retina display. I already checked all the compatibility stuff before Mojave was released, I was so keen to get my hands on it.

I hadn't really meant for my post to be a call for help, but thanks for the response anyway. I was just looking to see if anyone had already tried it and if they had any insights.

As it happens, I've now managed it. Initially I was getting the error message, "An internal error ocurred while preflighting your volume for APFS conversion", because my MBP was on MacOS Extended (Journaled) file system.

I contacted Apple support chat and they suggested, not helpfully, that "maybe" I should upgrade to High Sierra first. Sounded like they didn't really have any idea.

So I tried that, and it failed too, saying it couldn't download information to the target volume.

So, after trying various things, here's what worked...

I turned off FileVault, guessing that this was the issue. It still didn't work but this time got further in the installation before telling me it couldn't finish because the file system had journalling disabled.

Turns out that by disabling FileVault, journalling is turned off. So I re-enabled journalling, but still leaving FileVault off.

This time, I was able to upgrade to High Sierra successfully. Once that was done, I had a slew of updates, system and app, awaiting me. Did those, then pulled the trigger on Mojave.

Bingo, finally it worked.

So, in summary, for it to work, you need FileVault turned off, but journalling turned on, and you need to stop off en route at High Sierra.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Ads