Macbook Pro Slow

This is a discussion on Macbook Pro Slow within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been covered in the past. I have a mid 2010 Pro that is ...

Member #

Macbook Pro Slow

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been covered in the past. I have a mid 2010 Pro that is almost completely unusable because of the lack of speed in processing, even something like keying this message.

My OS is High Sierra 10.13.6 with 8GB Ram and a 500GB drive. According to the activity monitor, the system is using <1% of the resources, user <1% with idle time approximately 98%.

However, it took over 2 minutes just to load this web page.

Any ideas????

Thanks,
    visionbob (I ride a Vision motorcycle)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    OK, first off welcome to the forums...it's very quiet round here so apologies for not responding sooner.

As to your MacBook Pro being slow, the first place I would look is your hard drive. How full is it? If there is not much free space, then it will be working hard to perform what would normally be quite simple tasks. Also as a 2010 vintage, the hard drive could also be coming to the end of its life...they don't last for ever, particularly if they have been well used. You could try going to Utilities > Disk Utility and then run First Aid on your hard drive. It will report any errors and try and fix and it finds for you. With a 2010 model, it would be possible to replace the hard drive for a new SSD for example, which would really give your machine a new lease of life!!

Another thing to check is whether you hear the system fan coming on a lot. If it is, they your machine is getting too hot inside which will effect performance....this can be caused by a simply build-up of dust inside.

Anyway, whatever you do, make sure you . take a backup of all your important data....you really wouldn't want to lose things to a hard disk failure!!
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.4)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.4)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.4)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.2
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.2

Remove Ads

Ads