Being given a 2006 Macbook Pro

This is a discussion on Being given a 2006 Macbook Pro within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; Hello everyone, My partner's brother is giving me his old 2006 Macbook Pro since his work is providing him with a newer model. I have ...

Member #

Being given a 2006 Macbook Pro

Hello everyone,

My partner's brother is giving me his old 2006 Macbook Pro since his work is providing him with a newer model.

I have researched the specs and such for the various models and know that depending on when it was produced it may have either a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo processor etc. I plan to run Snow leopard on this machine once I get it and can get down to the Apple Store to buy a copy so that I have a nice pristine new OS install to learn on.

This will be my first ever Mac computer. I am a relative newbie to the Apple world, only having an iPad 2 with wireless Apple keyboard , and an 8 GB Touchscreen Nano of my own so far.

Any suggestions for the complete OSX newbie to make my transition from the dark side any easier? I plan to use the laptop for things like internet, email, youtube, netflix, Hulu Plus, Secondlife, Producing Audio Dramas, and Photo Processing. No heavy lifting like video editing or hardcore gaming.

My partner and I have been sharing his HP laptop which is a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of Ram running windows 7 64-bit and has an nVidia GeForece 8600M GS video card inside. From what I have read it looks like the Macbook Pro has similar specs. Does this mean I will get similar pewrformance from it as I get from this HP laptop?
    2012 Retina Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz/8GB/256GB | 2006 15" Macbook Pro 1.1| 2002 G4 iMac Power PC 4.2 |Powerbook G3 1.1 Bronze Keyboard | 1st Gen Apple TV 160 GB| 16GB White iPhone 5 | Black 16GB iPad mini

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads