Can't Update Firmware on Early 2011 MBP

This is a discussion on Can't Update Firmware on Early 2011 MBP within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; I haven't been able to update firmware on my laptop. It will download and attempt, but when the computer restarts, it restarts over and over ...

Member #

Can't Update Firmware on Early 2011 MBP

I haven't been able to update firmware on my laptop. It will download and attempt, but when the computer restarts, it restarts over and over and over again on its own until I hard power down. Then when it restarts, it starts up like normal but doesn't install the firmware. I had installed Kingston memory at one point and when I presented this issue to the Genius bar, they kept it a few days and tested it with "known working ram" and they were able to update the last firmware revision. So I ditched the Kingston and put in Centon, which claims full compatibility. Now, firmware 2.7 is giving me the same issue. Is it really the RAM? Anyone else who used 3rd party memory having this same problem?

Help!!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    I do run with 3rd party RAM but haven't tried any firmware updates recently. The only advice with firmware updates I would give, is leave well alone unless the update fixes an issue you are ACTUALLY experiencing. All updates from apple will state exactly what they are fixing, so if you don't need it, don't install it.

JezzerP :)
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    That's a good point- HOWEVER- the fact that I technically should be able to do this with no issue but can't concerns me. Obviously, it would be a waste of money to buy and test a bunch of different modules to find out if it's my memory that's that problem and I no longer have the original modules. Just looking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Remove Ads

Ads