Why buy Mac instead of PC?

This is a discussion on Why buy Mac instead of PC? within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; I like the look and reputation of the various Mac computers, but I only use my computer for internet, email, documents, rudimentary spreadsheets and photos ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Why buy Mac instead of PC?

I like the look and reputation of the various Mac computers, but I only use my computer for internet, email, documents, rudimentary spreadsheets and photos with light editing. A $600 to $800 PC does that easily. Is it overkill to buy a Mac when I don't need a lot of computing power. After all, I would be spending an additional $600 or more.

The Apple sales folks say it is worth it (go figure) because the Macs last longer than a PC and are cheaper to run. I have a Dell I have had for several years with no problems, and I use free anti-virus. So, I'm trying to talk myself into a Mac. Please help!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisoz View Post
    So, I'm trying to talk myself into a Mac. Please help!
    Yep, keep talking, I did a few years back and now I'm mac'ed up to the eyeballs and I love it!
    The Archangel

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I cannot tell you that a Mac will do better for what you are looking at doing on a computer. Honestly, there are some decent windows 7 boxes out there. I would really stay away from the Netbooks, however. If you are used to windows, then a Mac, when comparing price, will be a bit frustrating on the learning curve.

I will say this, however. OSX works. It just does. So does the hardware. If you want something that you don't have to worry about viruses and spyware, then OSX is the way to go. Of course, there is no such thing as "there is no malware for Mac's" because that just isnt true. However, for ever Mac virus report, there are tenfold more on the Windows side.

When I switched out, I was looking for a high-end PC that would allow me to edit video and photos as well as play games. I was looking at a $4500 laptop with Windows 7. Now, my priority was the video and photo editing, not really the gaming. I decided to look into the MBP line and saw that for $1200 less I could get the top of the line 17" MBP with all the bells and whistles. Ok, but damn, I didnt want to pay for the licenses for my main software. It was then, while talking to someone in my local Apple store that I found out Windows 7 could be dual booted with OSX and utilize the hardware fully, and not through VMware or other virtual computing platform.

That is what finally sold me.

If everyone had the same wants, needs, requirements, then there would only be one kind of computer. That is obviously not true, and thus, there is a computer out there that fits everyone differently. If the Mac fits you, buy it. If it doesnt, dont buy it.

As I tell everyone; When it comes to any electronics, buy the best you can afford at the time.
    Signatures? We don't need no stinkin' signatures!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Always better to spend once then to spend and wish you had gone with your other decision !!!!
    HTC Thunderbolt - Rom'd & Rooted
    Can you do that with your iPhone? :p

What the wife don't know won't hurt !

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What kind of Apple computer are you looking to get, a laptop or a Desktop?

I just got a MacBook Air for school. I wanted something small with good battery that would not weigh down my backpack. Other than that I still have my 5 year old Dell laptop that needs to be tethered to an outlet at all times.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quicksilver7714; 08-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Appleforums.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

Please be aware that some software is not compatible with Lion just yet. So if your planning on upgrading check to see if the software that you are using is compatible with Lion.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You will have to make your own decision. I changed from PC's to Macs in 2008. I had dropped my gw laptop on my concrete garage floor, so went to a mayor retailer to have it checked out to replace or repair. The repair cost was very high, so I looked around the store. My best day, when an employee showed me the Apple computers and some of the differences. I left with my first Mac! I went to Apple.com and began to read and watch instructional videos. Went to an Apple store to a free Workshop I saw listed on the site. Learned so much. Signed up for One-to-One training. Great program. I so much enjoy the graphics, speed, training, sleekness, durability of the Macs. I so enjoy not spending half my day(exertion) waiting for it to boot up (as I did with my PC's)! I enjoy not having the virus', adware, malware and crashes I did with my Windoz machines. Really enjoy having numerous windows open at one time and no crash! I am now a techy senior. Apple rocks.
    iMac 22", MacBook Air 13", iPhone 4, Apple Camera Connection kit, Apple Airport Express, Jawbone Jambox, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Magic Mouse, One-to-One membership (Apple training), iPod Touch (4th Generation)

Member #

I switched from a PC to a Mac

I love my iMAC and my iPAD2. I also have a Windows 7 laptop. I use the PC for my digital scrapbooking because I have a windows based program that I have been using for a long time.
    I love my MAC but my hubby does not. It' different so he is confused. I love all things google on my MAC. I am a 75 year old greatgrandmother.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There are many video tutorials on Apple.com on changing from PC to Mac. Better yet, if you can go to an Apple store and take one of their free workshops on starting with your Mac. Maybe you would enjoy these.
    iMac 22", MacBook Air 13", iPhone 4, Apple Camera Connection kit, Apple Airport Express, Jawbone Jambox, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Magic Mouse, One-to-One membership (Apple training), iPod Touch (4th Generation)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The simple answer is ... don't! Macs are beautifully made, that's it. I have used PCs for 20 years- hardworking, capable, and reliable. Good AV keeps the nasties away - and don't beieve the myth that Macs are safe from outside interference. My only foray into Apple is my iPad, which Apple failed to tell me wouldn't download ebooks outside your own country. I'm English, but live in France, so can't download ebooks from my own country. Copyright, see? Also it has no USB or DVD drive, so can't connect with 90% of the stuff available - although I have figured a way to transfer books from DVDs on my laptop PC to the iPad. It's a nice toy ... I also can't get on with Windows 7, so still use Windows XP and will continue to do so until MS (or Apple!) come up with something better - not just different.

Rod

Member #

Smile Thank you all. I took the plunge.

I went ahead and bought the 13" MacBookPro at Best Buy on sale--$60 off. I pick it up later today. I'm looking forward to the Mac Experience and greatly appreciate all your feedback.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads