Looking to Purchase a New cMBP or rMBP

This is a discussion on Looking to Purchase a New cMBP or rMBP within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; yes I am aware you can configure the rMBP to get 16 GB or RAM. that is not the question. I am not getting a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking to Purchase a New cMBP or rMBP

Member #
    yes I am aware you can configure the rMBP to get 16 GB or RAM. that is not the question. I am not getting a rMBP. I have known this is what you can configure the rMPB all along, I am looking at the cMBP. So whatever the information is in my post as far as talking to the supervisor, which I was surprised he told me I am talking about the cMBP, NOT the rMBP.

2. Ads

Member #
    Your screen shots are for the rMBP not the cMBP, I am not interested in the rMBP and I know I have seen the configure page for the rMBP many times. that is not the question.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooler View Post
    Just to make a note about your earlier post, Apple will not upgrade the cMBP to 16 Gb of RAM, that is why I am confused.
    Sorry, yes you are correct...my bad....I must have been looking at the rMBP options...was a busy day yesterday!!

Either model of cMBP will actually take 16GB of RAM if you are prepared to do it yourself, that isn't a problem. But, to be honest, I'm a little confused why the MINIMUM specs you require is 16GB of RAM....that is an awful lot of memory, and I am surprised that any software vendor is stipulating that as a minimum requirement.

These ARE very quiet forums, and it does feel like I'm the only one here some times.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooler View Post
    Your screen shots are for the rMBP not the cMBP, I am not interested in the rMBP and I know I have seen the configure page for the rMBP many times. that is not the question.
    Thanks
    Sorry, again...removed them when I realised my mistake.

You say you need an ethernet port which is understandable for what you want to do with the machine. Whilst the rMBP doesn't have an ethernet port itself, you can get an Ethernet > Thunderbolt adapter from Apple which would perform the same task:

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

The rMBP does have USB3 ports, but these are backwards compatible with USB/USB2 so your external Superdrive will work just fine.

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    just looking at MBPs not rMBP. in your earlier post, you said, You can configure the RAM (up to 8GB on the cheaper model, up to 16GB on the more expensive model), but in an apple article it said that mid 2012 MBPs can all bet 16 GB or RAM, 2 8 GB sticks. I have no idea what the supervisor was talking about when he said the MBPs can only take 8 GB of RAM. I think he saw the article and the table where it says make RAM 8 GB but he does not realize that table is talking about 2 slots of 8 GB which + 16 for the MBP, and that is allMBP. Even what you say is the cheaper model, that model will also take 16 GB of RAM, 2 sticks of 8 GB in each slot.

Heading off

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Yes, you are correct, both 15" cMBP models will support 16GB of RAM....two sticks of 8GB each. As an alternative to performing this upgrade yourself, you could always find a reputable Apple Reseller near where you live and ask them to do the upgrade for you.

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    after all of this I would like to upgrade the RAM myself and maybe even the SSD. I just do not want to be surprised when I get the machine, find the best RAM (which I still need your help on deciding what is the best RAM and what sticks I would need( assuming I will need to take out all of the RAM the machine comes to me with and install the RAM I purchased from another vendor. If I could be sure that I could get good high quality RAM and get it the right amounts so I will be able to install it without having to send it back because I ordered the wrong type. if I take it to an Apple Reseller they do not always sell the best RAM and they charge a pretty high fee to install it. At least this was my experience when I updated my current MBP 5 years ago. The platform the university uses WebCT requires at least 10-12 GB of RAM so I can not only control the WebcT platform but also uses what I have available to me when we are in the virtual classroom. this is all I know on why they tell me to get this much RAM. I do not understand this stuff that much, as you can clearly see. Have you sent a link to me that takes me to a website that sells the RAM you think I should get and in the 8 GB x2 amounts? I think I did read it earlier, but my scroll bar is not working on this MBP I am using now, so I have a hard time getting around webpages.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Yes you will have to remove the two sticks of existing RAM and replace them with the two sticks of 8GB Ram you purchase.

As to good quality RAM, I have been using Crucial RAM for many years and have not had any issues with it failing. It may not be the highest performance RAM available, but to be honest you will not notice the difference in real world use between 16GB of Crucial RAM compared to 16GB of high performance RAM from another source.

I did link to the US Crucial site, directly to the MacBook Pro 15" page, but here is the link again:

Computer memory upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 (15-inch DDR3) Mid-2012 Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

And here is the link to the iFixit page that guides you through step by step how to replace the RAM in a cMBP 15"

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 RAM - iFixit

It also tells you what tools you need.

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1

Member #
    So are we sure that if I order a 15" MBP from the apple.com site that they will take max 16 GB of RAM? (8 GB x 2) I know I have been through this but after what the supervisor told me from the apple.com website that the max the MBPs can take is 8 GB, I thought sh-t. Maybe he did not understand me and thought I was asking what is the most RAM apple will install for me. I do not know, but I do need for my job and the web platform the university uses, the y suggest at least 10-12 GB of RAM. I know this is pretty close since they use java and the newest online real time virtual classrooms use a lot of RAM. Do you know what size SSD I should get for this MBP? Not sure if you ever came across this website, but there are some good articles on this website. Interested in what you think about it. Best Memory Upgrades | Cheapest RAM Upgrades | Best Computer Memory Crucial seems to be a good brand name RAM My problem is that I do not know what all the numbers mean when you see sticks of RAM. I am assuming I will know what to get from one of the scanners, at least that is what I hope. I did contact Crucial and she suggested I use their scanner for the RAM upgrade and the HHD upgrade, but I have to have the new machine here. I would like to have the new RAM and HHD drive here when the MBP arrives so I can install them when they arrive. It sounds like I will need that tool kit you were talking about, right? that is something I will need for sure?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Kooler, as a School Administrator and moderator for Elive courses at my University your instructor is grossly incorrect. Should your course be using VOIP Blackboard systems (Collaborate) 16GB or a suggestion of 10-12GB is ridiculous. We run a full Masters program in virtual classrooms and I've been moderating the classes with a 2008 iMac which has 4GB of RAM without any problems. I also have a 2010 Mid MBP with 8GB.

Now I am unaware of what your job entails and the demands that would require 16gigs...but unless it's fairly high 3D programming, audio/video encoding or crunching million by million matrices or are a professional photographer than that's overkill.

Your supervisor needs to read up on the requirements since Blackboard (which owns WEBCT) as you stated is java based and is a web app. Much of the performance will rely on your internet connection rather than 16gigs of ram. I'm not an expert computer programmer by any means of the imagination but I know my way around enough to know that 8GB or Ram is plenty.
    JezzerP likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads