A Little Help with a Sudden Storage Capacity Issue?

This is a discussion on A Little Help with a Sudden Storage Capacity Issue? within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; Hello all! I recently purchased a Macbook Pro, and I used a portable hard drive to move my extensive music collection to the laptop. In ...

Member #

Wink A Little Help with a Sudden Storage Capacity Issue?

Hello all!

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro, and I used a portable hard drive to move my extensive music collection to the laptop. In total, I have 235.85 gigs of music. The folder which houses all of my files told me that specific amount and when I moved it over to the laptop, the system information confirmed that this was indeed the audio size stored on the laptop. When I attempted to import the songs into itunes, it would not complete the transfer, and stated that there was not enough room available on the hard drive. When I checked the system information again, it is now telling me that there are 398 gigs of music. The file folder housing the tracks has not changed. Can you tell me what is eating up the extra storage space?

I'm not seeing duplicate tracks, and I emptied my trash bin just to be on the safe side. I have thought about wiping itunes and attempting it again, but I can't seem to find where I can restore itunes to factory default and wipe it clean.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kady

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Maybe music sound quality?? Higher bit rate..
    Mac Pro '08
    2013 27" iMAC. 10.11.4 32g
    Apple Server Beta
    iPad Pro
    Ipad1, 3 and iPad Air 7.1. Ipod2, 4s. iPhone 5 - IOS 8.2-- Apple Tv 4th Gen.
    ADC Member and Beta Tester

Member #
    What could I do about that? Did it somehow change when I transferred it to iTunes?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Check what the file format of your music tracks is on your external drive compared to the imported files on your Mac. It is possible that they have been converted from .mp3 to the iTunes native .aac format during the import process. MP3 files can be marginally smaller than AAC at an equivalent bit rate, and seeing you have over 230 GB of tracks all those small increases in file size will add up. Unfortunately I have been unable to find out if this is what iTunes does when importing from an external library, and I can't find any settings in iTunes to help verify what is going on.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Catalina (10.15.6)

iPhone 11 - iOS 13.6
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 13.6

Remove Ads

Ads