System recovery failed and now I can't find a way to start my MacBook

This is a discussion on System recovery failed and now I can't find a way to start my MacBook within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; My MacBook Pro 13" had been giving me small but recurrent problems lately. Every couple of days for the past two weeks the spinning beach ...

Member #

System recovery failed and now I can't find a way to start my MacBook

My MacBook Pro 13" had been giving me small but recurrent problems lately. Every couple of days for the past two weeks the spinning beach ball had been showing up and the Mac ended up asking me to hold down the power button to turn it off and then restart the laptop.
    I checked and repaired the HD via disk utilities. It said it was repaired but it didn't make any difference.
    Yesterday the beach ball appeares much more often (every half an hour, or less) so I decided to start in Recovery mode (cmd - r) and then just fully recover the system from the external HD I use with time machine.

That's when it went even worse. The recovery from the back up failed saying I should try again but when I try to start the MacBook only does two things: one - if I don't hold anything down it gives me an error and makes me force shut down the computer, which gives me the idea that everything is erased from the hard drive. And two - if I try to press again cmd - r, first the apple logo shows up and then it changes into the prohibited sign. It keeps thinking for longer than 5 minutes.
    I don't know what to do anymore.

Is there another way to try to recover my time machine backup from the external HD?
    What kind of problem could be causing all of this?

I have to add that as I'm traveling and away from home I don't have with me the system CDs that came with the MacBook.

Any ideas on how to try to restart and recover my MacBook?

2. Ads

Member #
    Off the top of my head, with no other information, I would suggest this (if you have another PC or Mac lying around) as a drastic measure only!

1) Go to iFixit.com and read a guide to open you MacBook Pro specific model
    2) Buy an external hard drive enclosure (if you are from the US, newegg.com is a good place)
    3) Remove the hard drive, stick it in the enclosure, connect it to any other Mac or PC
    4) Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GPT selected in Disk Utility
    5) Download OSX Lion/Mntn Lion from the App Store, run the installer, and then choose 'Show All Disks" when asked to choose a disk. Choose the enclosured internal drive
    6) After the install is done, stick the drive back into your MacBook Pro and boot up!
    MacBook Pro 13" early 2011
    Mac OS X 10.7.4
    Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz dual core
    6GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 (integrated)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    iPhone 3GS iOS 6.1.3
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Xbox 360

Remove Ads

Ads