Please help! Mac virus pretending to be police

This is a discussion on Please help! Mac virus pretending to be police within the MacBook Pro forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; When I open safari a page pops up with the address error.expresspolicelocation.com when I try to leave normally a pop up takes priority if the ...

Member #

Please help! Mac virus pretending to be police

When I open safari a page pops up with the address error.expresspolicelocation.com when I try to leave normally a pop up takes priority if the screen asking if I want to leave the page with the answer buttons unaccessable. However force quit works in shutting down safari and allowing me to use any other application. However I cannot access the internet without that same page popping up again. I've looked for help and they say to reset safari but when I try the popup asking to leave the page comes up and restricts access to everything. I don't have any other Internet browsers so I can't download anything. please help!

Ps. Am running on MacBook Pro with os10.8.4

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    It's the fist time I hear about this. The first thing I would try is before shutting down Safari to change the home page and see what happens when you boot Safari back up. If nothing works, uninstall Safari and reinstall again. Drastic but it will work.

You could also try installing other browsers like Chrome or Opera to see.

You are sure that there are no hackers in your Mac? Are you illegally using someone else's wifi connection?

Could you take a screen shot of that web page? How are you connected here?
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Member #
    I can't install anything because I need safari to do so and that's what the virus is attacking. Nor can I go to any sort of settings in safari because the pop up thing takes priority of the screen and I can't dismiss it without force quitting safari.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    This virus (or a variant there of) has been floating around on Windows machines for several years, but I had no idea that it was also attacking OSX. As you say, suggestions on the internet suggest you can get rid of it by using the File > Reset Safari menu option. However, seeing you say a pop-up prevents access to the Safari menu, I can only suggest you boot up in Safe Mode, by holding the <Shift> key as your Mac boots, and seeing if this temporarily disables the virus and allows you to reset your browser.
    'Deep Thought' - Mac Mini Late 2018- macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Marvin' - Mac Mini Late 2014 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - macOS Mojave (10.14.5)

iPhone 6S - iOS 12.3.1
    iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 12.3.1

Remove Ads

Ads