iMac vs Macbook pro

This is a discussion on iMac vs Macbook pro within the MacBook forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; i'm not sure whether which to get. Either the iMac 21.5" S$1,648 one or the Macbook pro 13" S$1,648 (both standard configurations). They are the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

iMac vs Macbook pro

i'm not sure whether which to get. Either the iMac 21.5" S$1,648 one or the Macbook pro 13" S$1,648 (both standard configurations). They are the same price. Which one is recommended?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The basic MBPro costs $1199 not $1600 what upgrades did you add?

What do you plan on doing with the MacBook that necessitates the need for portable device?

IMO if you don't need a portable device go for the iMac as its more powerful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quicksilver7714; 07-30-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Appleforums.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

Please be aware that some software is not compatible with Lion just yet. So if your planning on upgrading check to see if the software that you are using is compatible with Lion.

Member #
    Sorry. my prices are Singapore dollars. the currency is different that's why, but i think they should be the same.

Now i have a PC and i want a Mac for an upgrade. On my PC i usually do video editing, project works, research works. Not much of video gaming.

Member #
    I went through the same process when switching to mac from pc a few months ago. I agree with the poster who said if you don't need the portability, get the iMac. I did and I love it. No problem switching over, either. For portability, I also bought an iPad 2, so I feel well equipped, but that was because I do need portability at times.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    To second what everyone else already said, I would use the following criteria.

1. If you need it portable, you only have one choice.

2. If you aren't so much worried about portability, but think it MIGHT be something you would want to use, then go for it. You can get some great Macbook Pro docks, then an external monitor and that makes hooking up your laptop to the monitor (and mouse and keyboard) very easily.

The new Apple displays with Thunderbolt are really cool too because you get the display and charging of the laptop over a single connector.

I have one of these docks and it's very cool:

Henge Docks

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Depends what you want, if you want portability, go with the macbook pro. If you want a nice large desktop, go with the iMac.
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That's a cool looking dock John. I might have to look in to it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Appleforums.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

Please be aware that some software is not compatible with Lion just yet. So if your planning on upgrading check to see if the software that you are using is compatible with Lion.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    MacBook Pro's are powerful machines, but so are iMac's. MacBook Pro's are more portable than iMac's obviously because they're laptops and not all-in-one desktops. However, the new MacBook Pro's are almost as powerful as the old iMac's so make sure you know what you're getting!
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

Member #
    I'd actually really prefer portability. The MacBook Pro definitely has a lot of power for all you need, and it can always be updated with new parts if you feel like it isn't as fast enough.

Apple Macbook Air 13" i5/128 gb | WATCH THE THRONE

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been thinking about this recently as well. I am going to be getting a new computer soon and was thinking of 15" MacBook Pro or 27" iMac. The configurations I picked are close to the same prices. I currently have a 13" MacBook 2.0GHz C2D, with a 23" HD Dell monitor, that hasn't left the house in about 6 months. Which is the time I got my iPad 2, and I take it to classes with me everyday instead.
    Now back to MBP or iMac. I have decided to get the MacBook Pro, because I am starting my last year of college and may need the portability of the laptop. So I'd rather have the option to take a powerful machine to class or group meetings with me instead of relying on the iPad 2 to get things done. The MacBook I currently have isn't a good option as it is starting to fail on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads