The Macbook lineup is no more :( Discontinued....

This is a discussion on The Macbook lineup is no more :( Discontinued.... within the MacBook forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; It's a sad day.. my girlfriend just bought a brand new Macbook and now we find out that today... they have been discontinued. It's been ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

The Macbook lineup is no more :( Discontinued....

It's a sad day.. my girlfriend just bought a brand new Macbook and now we find out that today... they have been discontinued. It's been a great product at a great price point for a long time now so I'm sad to see it go.

But, we now have a ton of flexibility with the Macbook Air so I don't think it will be too bad to move forward without it.

Your thoughts?

(Source: The MacBook drops from Apple's Store (update: confirmed) -- Engadget)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Its been a great product but to be honest i think the macbook pro is better but it was a cash saver so i think thats why a lot of people chose that option instead of the macbook pro, but it was a nice little laptop my gf had two of them in the past also like yours does now but now she will have to go mbp like i have been telling her to do lol though i also liked the feel of it in my hand the plastic white it was nice.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The MacBook was an excellent price point for a basic Apple laptop for those that wanted to get a mac. The air does not really fit that bill IMO, with no optical drive and a small SDD (Unless you have tons of $$$ for a larger one), it is not the choice for me.
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Appleforums.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

Please be aware that some software is not compatible with Lion just yet. So if your planning on upgrading check to see if the software that you are using is compatible with Lion.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The question is, will Apple see a big sales impact/decline due to not having a model that really fit a price point well and allowed them to compete with fully featured PC laptops?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Not sure. I still think a lot of college students want a full functioning laptop so they might skip Apple all together now that the cheapest fully functioning laptop is $200 more. I hate to say it but you can get a comparable windows machine for half the current price of the low end 13" MBP.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk

Please be aware that some software is not compatible with Lion just yet. So if your planning on upgrading check to see if the software that you are using is compatible with Lion.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Not sure. I still think a lot of college students want a full functioning laptop so they might skip Apple all together now that the cheapest fully functioning laptop is $200 more. I hate to say it but you can get a comparable windows machine for half the current price of the low end 13" MBP.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk
    I personally do not even see that as a comparison, kinda comparing (no pun intended) apples to oranges. I'd still rather spend 3x's more for a reliable, stable & secure product over the junk PC's they are putting out for $200-700 range no matter what the form factor is. I'm gonna hate to see the MacBook line disappear but Apple seems to be moving towards ultra-portability for all their lines, who can blame them they have been pretty innovative to this point
    HTC Thunderbolt - Rom'd & Rooted
    Can you do that with your iPhone? :p

What the wife don't know won't hurt !

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I was just stating things from my view as i am a college student and i can get more bang for my buck with a PC than a Mac. Don't get me wrong they are awesome devices, and i really want one, but for the price and the available options it just doesn't fit what I want out of a laptop. Also a side note my current laptop is almost 5 years old and i have had very few problems with it. I think the only major problem was the virus i got that necessitated a OS re-install. But that's windows for you.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    I was just stating things from my view as i am a college student and i can get more bang for my buck with a PC than a Mac. Don't get me wrong they are awesome devices, and i really want one, but for the price and the available options it just doesn't fit what I want out of a laptop. Also a side note my current laptop is almost 5 years old and i have had very few problems with it. I think the only major problem was the virus i got that necessitated a OS re-install. But that's windows for you.
    I came from Windows, had been using it since 3.1, but once you get a Mac you would see the difference. You can find one of the 2007-08 models on ebay for under $500...I had a problem with Apples big price tags as well, thats why it took me so long to finally make the change, but I'm glad I did !!!!
    HTC Thunderbolt - Rom'd & Rooted
    Can you do that with your iPhone? :p

What the wife don't know won't hurt !

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It is actually pretty amazing how much faster and usable an older Mac feels when compared to an Older PC running Windows. Windows PC's seem to really show their age after 3 years, but Mac OS seems to deal better with aging hardware. Perhaps it's less bloat. Example, my old 12" Powerbook G4 with 800Mhz processor and 2GB of RAM still feels "usable" and that thing is like 8 years old.

I'd cringe at the thought of using an 8 year old laptop on Windows 7, or heaven forbid... Vista. :(

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    While I would consider getting an older macbook pro I do like the luxury of knowing I am the first owner and also having a warranty & accidental damage is good for peace of mind. Plus its always a good dealing when you know that you have the latest hardware.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quicksilver7714; 07-23-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads