Macbook upgrade HD the simplest way

This is a discussion on Macbook upgrade HD the simplest way within the MacBook forums, part of the Macbook Forum category; Thank you in advance for any help offered! I have a Macbook unibody 5,1. The original hard drive is in it and full at this ...

Member #

Macbook upgrade HD the simplest way

Thank you in advance for any help offered! I have a Macbook unibody 5,1. The original hard drive is in it and full at this point (about 1g left). I have purchased "750GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 2.5" SATA HD 16MB Cache, OWC Express USB 2.0 Kit + Includes OWC 5 Piece Tool Kit. 1 Year Seagate Factory Warranty on HD, 1yr OWC Enclosure Warranty" to replace the current hard drive. I also have a time capsule backed-up with time machine.

I have read about cloning (super duper!, etc) vs time machine restore method for the new hard drive. My question is, since I have the Express USB 2.0 kit listed above and the new hard drive can I do the time machine restore via disk utility and simply put my current hard drive as the source and the destination as the USB hard drive? Then I could simply change out the hard drives once the process is done (will this transfer my files/pics/music as well as OSX infor needed)?
    Most of the methods I have read require using my Leopard start up disc to go through the process of formatting, then installing the OSX, then updating OSX, then using time machine to restore, and possibly going through a process of re-authorizing software agreements, or using SuperDuper! (additional cost for the software) cloning the drive and simply changing out the drives- sounds easier.

2nd, some of the articles I have read mention partitioning the hard drive when formatting and GUID partition, while others just mention formatting it via- erase and format to Mac OS extended (journaled). It doesn't appear I need to do a partition, but thought I would ask.

Basically I would like to get the hard drive all set up, before I even install it into the Macbook. I thought I should be able to do this via the USB 2.0.

Thanks for any help!

(here are some for link I have used, as well as reading in these forums)

How to Transfer Your Data From Your Old Drive to a New Drive

The Secret of the Time Machine-Assisted Hard Drive Swap

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads