New to Mac and need some help please.

This is a discussion on New to Mac and need some help please. within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Hello all, Ok, so I normally use Linux, which I have been for years. I dislike Microsoft except for Windows XP since that was the ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

New to Mac and need some help please.

Hello all,

Ok, so I normally use Linux, which I have been for years. I dislike Microsoft except for Windows XP since that was the only decent OS they made. Well I wanted a laptop so I bought the MacBook Air. I love this little thing but there are things that I can't seem to understand. Example: When in Safari how do you drop the window down like Windows or Linux? Or for that matter how do you drop any program down? Why does iTunes try to copy all my music when I add a library? How do I get it to stop going to a black screen and then have to push the power button, then my password comes up everytime. Screen goes black in about 2 minutes and it is kind of irratating. How do I stop it from going black? Does cold hands effect the mouse pad? More questions too come.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    If by 'drop the windows down' you mean minimise it (?), just click the little yellow circle in the top-left of the window (opposite side to Windows)
    'Orac' - MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 - Mavericks (10.9.4)
    'Marvin' - Hackintosh - Mavericks (10.9.4)
    'Holly' - Hackintosh - Mavericks Server (10.9.4)

iPhone 5S - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad Air - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad 2 - iOS 7.1.2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Does your screen just go black whilst you are using it?

iPhone 5S - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad Air - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad 2 - iOS 7.1.2

Member #
    I don't mean minimize. I mean dropping it to the toolbar like Linux. And the screen goes black after idling for about 2 minutes maximium. How do I set it so it doesn't go blank? Is it the screen saver? Sorry for all the simpleton questions, this new technology is crazy. I went from Linux/Windows XP to Mac OSX and it is drastically different.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I still think the yellow circle will be the closest thing to what you want. To be honest, OSX is so different, it's important not to hope that it will work in the same way as Linux/Windows. You have to have a play around to get used to it.

The black screen issue will probably be down to your power saving settings. Go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and see what you find there.

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do when you add a Library to iTunes?

iPhone 5S - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad Air - iOS 7.1.2
    iPad 2 - iOS 7.1.2

Ads