Researchers have created flexible batteries that never need to be recharged

This is a discussion on Researchers have created flexible batteries that never need to be recharged within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Apple Forums category; One of my biggest gripes with today’s smartwatches is charging — specifically, that I have to plug in my wristputer every night, or it becomes ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ardchoille

Thread: Researchers have created flexible batteries that never need to be recharged

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Researchers have created flexible batteries that never need to be recharged

One of my biggest gripes with today’s smartwatches is charging — specifically, that I have to plug in my wristputer every night, or it becomes a useless and expensive hunk of metal. But if this flexible solar-powered battery becomes a reality, we could finally have wearables that live up to the hype.

A team from the University of Illinois, Northwest University, South Korea and China developed the battery, which they say is capable of changing its shape to fit in various devices. The various components of the battery and solar cells are integrated into a silicone shell and connected by flexible copper-polymer joints. The result is a charging and storage solution that can stretch and bend by 30 percent without losing its ability to generate solar charge.

In a paper published in well-reputed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers propose that the battery cluster could be mounted to your skin, and provide enough charge to power a wearable device. One of the benefits of the design is that it’s reasonably modular: at the moment, it mostly focuses on tiny batteries and solar arrays, but it would be possible to integrate processors and sensors into the design, to make the entire wearable self-powered and flexible. The silicon casing also has the benefit of being waterproof.

As ever with battery research, there’s a long way to go until we see the tech in a production device. There’s a big gap between making a bespoke solution in a lab, and mass-producing something cheaply and consistently. Battery breakthroughs have been promised for years; this at least has the benefit of taking existing tech and repackaging it in a more wearable form factor, rather than promising a miracle of chemistry to give us month-long batteries.

5-19-16

Source

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    What do you do in wintertime when only the tip of your nose shows through your heavy clothing?
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    A better power source would be a way to use the body's fat supplies as a source of power...
    Some of us could maintain a full computer powered "on" for years.
    Last edited by iVan; 05-21-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    Nor white, nor black. Just the passionate shades between...

Yuno Wataï Minh

Finally! A brand new iPad Air2 made its way into my life...

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iVan View Post
    What do you do in wintertime when only the tip of your nose shows through your heavy clothing?
    It doesn't matter because the current battery companies (Duracell, Everready, etc.) will team up and this article will be the last we hear of this type of battery. You don't really think the current battery companies are going to go down without a fight, do you?
    J. A. likes this.
    True nobility lies not in being superior to another person, but in being superior to our previous selves.

Remove Ads

Ads