Photos of Ashton Kutcher in character as Steve Jobs surface

This is a discussion on Photos of Ashton Kutcher in character as Steve Jobs surface within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Apple Forums category; Jobs, the upcoming Steve Jobs biopic starring Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad, gets its second official teaser trailer today, ahead of the much-anticipated cinema debut ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

‘Jobs’ Gets Second ‘American Legend’ Trailer Ahead Of Cinema Debut [Video]

Jobs, the upcoming Steve Jobs biopic starring Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad, gets its second official teaser trailer today, ahead of the much-anticipated cinema debut August 16. It’s entitled “American Legend,” and you can check it out below.

The new trailer isn’t hugely different from the first one — in fact, it features a lot of the same clips. But it’s littered with glowing quotes and generous ratings from the movie’s early reviews.

Not all the reviews have been positive, of course. Following its first-ever showing at the Sundance Film Festival back in January, reviews slammed the film for Kutcher’s performance, holes in the plot and a poor script. But clearly there are plenty who disagree, so we urge you to be your own judge when the movie hits cinemas.

You’ll be able to see Jobs in theaters across the United States starting August 16.

8-6-13

Source

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Brace Yourselves. Ashton Kutcher’s Jobs Movie Is Finally Shipping!

The new Jobs movie hits Friday. And it’s not going to be pretty.

The movie covers the life of the late Apple co-founder and CEO from 1971, before the founding of Apple, to 2001, when Jobs announces the iPod, thus setting the company on the path to glory and dominance.

You’re going to hate the movie. Here’s why.

This is a very low-budget movie, possibly made for less than $10 million. The principles in the movie have never been involved in a successful movie. (Mark Hulme is the producer. Joshua Michael Stern is the director. Matt Whiteley wrote the screenplay.)

Jobs was filmed mostly in Los Angeles. But the garage scenes were filmed in the actual garage where Apple began, Jobs’ childhood home in Los Altos, California.

Lead actor Ashton Kutcher tried to get into his role as Apple’s founder. He claims that trying to eat a fruitarian diet like Jobs once did made Kutcher end up in the hospital. Kutcher even started wearing hippy footwear and walking for an hour. In L.A.!

All this walking in Birkenstocks and imitating Jobs’ bouncy walk made Kutcher injure his back, according to the actor. (Here’s Kutcher doing that dangerous Steve walk.)

Josh Gad plays Steve Wozniak unconvincingly. He seems to be a fine actor, but the casting is questionable. Gad’s appearance, voice and general personality in no way resemble the Woz, if the trailers are anything to go by.

(Matthew Modine makes a great John Sculley, though.)
    And the real Woz is no fan of the movie so far. Wozniak says at least one of the clips in the movie is wildly inaccurate. The clip shows Woz as a clueless nerd who doesn’t understand the social implications of a personal computer, and Jobs understanding it all. As Woz points out, the computer culture Woz was immersed in centered around Silicon Valley’s Homebrew Computer Club, which was obsessed with the cultural impact of computing. Jobs initially wanted to take something that was being built for social impact and make some money from it.

In general, I think the technology-loving world is generally going to despise this movie. Apple and Jobs are divisive entities — people love or hate them.

The Apple lovers who lionize Jobs will hate the movie because they’ll believe that Kutcher is too much of a lightweight to portray the great man, and they’ll hate the portrayal of the beloved Woz as something of a stereotypical nerd. Jobs fans will also dislike the focus on some of Jobs’ more negative characteristics, such as berating employees and being a jerk to his family.

Everybody seems to like Noah Wyle’s portrayal of Jobs in the 1999 original TNT movie Pirates of Silicon Valley, and Kutcher’s portrayal will probably be compared unfavorably to Wyle’s.

Apple haters will think that Jobs shouldn’t have his own movie, and will feel the movie is too worshipful about Jobs and Apple, and will fail to focus on whatever perceived transgressions they feel Apple and Jobs have inflicted on the industry and the world.

And all of us are tired of the story. We want new information and this movie won’t be giving it to us.

We saw Pirates of Silicon Valley, read several good biographies of Jobs and have read countless online stories about Apple and Steve Jobs during the years depicted in the movie. There will be very few surprises, and the Hollywood version won’t mesh with the Silicon Valley view of the world.

Film fans won’t like the movie much, I predict, because it does what most biopics do, which is to focus on iconic, well known public events to the exclusion of personal story. The movie is likely to take moviegoers from one formative event to another, without really getting into what the characters lives were really like.

I think that what we all want — Apple fans, Apple haters and movie buffs — is a truly deep treatment of the life of Jobs that breaks new ground, does some original research and original thinking about Jobs and how he relates to the industry that shaped him, and that he would go on to shape back.

In other words, we all crave a great movie about Steve Jobs that doesn’t treat the man as an isolated genius who made his own world, driven by textbook feelings of rejection as an adopted child. We want less cliche and more insight into Silicon Valley and Jobs’ place in it.

Maybe Aaron Sorkin’s upcoming Steve Jobs movie will do that. But I doubt it.

Jobs is currently getting a 43 on Rotten Tomatoes. One critic nailed it by saying that it looked like a TV movie.

In general, I believe the Kutcher will actually be very good in the movie, but that it will suffer from a bad script and mediocre directing.

Still, you’re going to see it. And you might even enjoy it, as long as you’re able to not take it too seriously. As Woz told a reporter recently: “It’s just a movie.”

8-10-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

The first major movie about Steve Jobs hits U.S. theaters in less than 24 hours. Reviews have been mixed, but if you’re not interested in plopping down your hard-earned cash to see Ashton doing his best El Jobso impersonation, Open Road Films CEO, Tom Ortenberg, says you’ll be able to watch it all from your couch soon enough.

During an interview on Bloomberg, Ortenberg revealed that the company already has a deal in place for Netflix to carry the movie starting in the spring of 2014. You’ll have 18 months to watch it on Netflix before it gets wiped out of the catalogue, just in time for Aaron Sorkin’s Jobs movie to sweep in.

8-15-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Jobs: A Spoiler-Free Review Of The Movie All Apple Fans Must See

Look, I’ll be straight with you — I’m not a movie critic. Nope, just an average moviegoer. But I am an Apple fan, and probably, like you, one who greatly admired Steven P. Jobs.

So ever since last Tuesday, when I got to sit through an early screening of Ashton Kutcher’s much-hyped new movie, Jobs, people have been asking me what I think of it. Is this a film that lives up to the buzz? Did Kutcher deliver? Or more often, “Just how bad was it?”

Well…

Following the Apple founder from his years in college up until the debut of the iPod, Jobs is a look into his — and Apple’s — humble beginnings, rise to power, loss of it all, and ride back to the top. And surprisingly, by about 10 minutes in, I discovered this film was powered by someone with remarkable acting chops.

His name is Josh Gad. Playing the part of Jobs’ loyal sidekick, Steven Wozniak, Gad’s performance was warm, genuine, touching and it brought nuance and complexity to a film that, quite honestly, really needed the boost.

Delighting me further were fantastic performances by famed actors Dermot Mulroney (as Apple angel investor Mike Markkula), Matthew Modine (as Pepsi man John Sculley) and J.K. Simmons.

Kutcher as Jobs on the other hand…

Look, I want to tell you he nailed it. I want to tell you his Steve Jobs was so damned good, we should all be ashamed for ever doubting him. But, like the possibility of audiences applauding at the end of this film — that’s not happening.

Kutcher, for all his love of the man, for all his research of the way Jobs spoke, carried himself and interacted with the people around him, was not able to deliver an authentic portrayal. For the entire duration of the film, with his strange interpretation of Jobs’ walk, poise and speech, I watched Kutcher imitate Steve Jobs, instead of actually becoming him.

Juxtaposed against Gad, the performance is only more painful, and I had to wonder if Kutcher felt as outgunned as he looked.

Of course, I can’t give Mr. K. all the blame. New-ish writer Matt Whitely penned the script, and was the one responsible for shoehorning every story and piece of Steve Jobs lore — and I do mean every single piece you’ve ever heard in your life — into a two-hour movie. With so much to show, these stories played out in ways that felt contrived and predictable at best. More often, they proved detracting, cheesy and hard to follow. In conveying so much, the film plot was left unfocused. I’m still not sure what it was about.

Whitely also paints Jobs in a strange light — a fan’s light. And the result is a portrayal that borderlines caricature. Jobs is shown as a man, almost godlike in his ability to influence, foresee and negotiate, but unable to hold a regular conversation. He comes across almost autistic in they way he interacted with people. The wild extremes were too wide to be believed, and for me, it left the character of Jobs feeling hollow.

Ah, but here’s a twist — I still think you should see this movie. Yes, I’m serious.

Why? Well, though the plot is confusing, the writing isn’t great, Kutcher doesn’t deliver, and the film is overstuffed like a bad Thanksgiving turkey, this is a flick for fans. Yes sir, a movie made by fans, for fans. And though it isn’t a great movie, it is a fun ride, and you’ll enjoy some great performances by supporting actors.

And when the credits role, you’ll feel good knowing, hey, at least you saw it and got to experience all — and I do mean all — of the Apple and Jobsian lore you’ve read and heard about, all played out on the silver screen.

8-16-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Jobs Tanked Its Opening Weekend

Hey, did you see Jobs this weekend? If so, you probably saw it alone, in a theater completely empty except for yourself, a single loquacious cricket, and a theater usher sleeping one off. Why? Because Jobs absolutely tanked this weekend.

According to Box Office Mojo, Jobs made an estimated $6.7 million this weekend, significantly less than the $8-9 million estimated by Open Road Films, Jobs‘s distributor.

Although Jobs was only made for $12 million, Box Office Mojo puts these numbers in perspective:

Playing at 2,381 locations, Jobs opened in seventh place with an estimated $6.7 million. While it was never expected to match The Social Network, it’s still very disappointing to note that the Steve Jobs biopic earned less than one-third as much as the Facebook story. This is also one of star Ashton Kutcher’s lowest openings ever—among nationwide releases, it’s only ahead of 2003’s My Boss’s Daughter ($4.9 million).

So these numbers are bad even for a smaller independent film, and even the Cult of Kutcher couldn’t be convinced to come to theaters to see it.

Of course, in an ideal world, movies that suck don’t do well in the box office, and common consensus was that Jobs was a dud. Our own Nicole Martinelli called it “interminable”, Erfon thought “the plot is confusing, the writing isn’t great, Kutcher doesn’t deliver, and the film is overstuffed.” Even Woz slammed it.

What more do you need? Direct to cable with you, Jobs! We’ll all just have to hold out hope for the Aaron Sorkin biopic, coming next year.

8-19-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Ashton Kutcher Takes Job As “Product Engineer”

We reported it back in July and now there is confirmation: Steve Jobs-actor Ashton Kutcher has joined Lenovo to help launch its new Yoga tablet.

“This is not just another ‘me too’ tablet.” Kutcher said at a launch event for the Android device Tuesday night.

“When you look at this you say, this doesn’t look like anything else on the market,” he continued, channeling his inner-Steve (and perhaps missing the obvious nods the Yoga makes to Apple’s Bluetooth Keyboard and Trackpad, right down to the power button on the end.)

While Kutcher has a history of technology endorsements, Lenovo is not just presenting him as a pretty face, but rather as a real bona fide “Lenovo product engineer” — albeit one who went to the International Modeling and Talent Association rather than M.I.T. In this capacity, Kutcher will aid not only on marketing, but also “providing design, specification and software guidance.”

Because if you can’t hire Steve Jobs, you can at least hire that one guy who played him in a disappointing movie biopic.

10-30-13

Source

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Steve Jobs biopic 'Jobs' now available to purchase and rent on iTunes

Ashton Kutcher vehicle "Jobs" has landed in virtual and brick-and-mortar stores across the U.S., including options to buy or rent the movie on Apple's iTunes.

After debuting as the Sundance Festival's closing night selection and seeing wide release in August, Steve Jobs biopic "Jobs" is now available to purchase on the web and in stores.

While the film received lackluster reviews and made a poor showing on its opening weekend, "Jobs" is the first feature-length title to take on the life of Apple cofounder Steve Jobs. Ashton Kutcher plays the title role and is backed up by Josh Gad as Steve Wozniak, Dermot Mulroney, Lukas Haas, J.K. Simmons, Matthew Modine and James Woods.

The movie spans a large chunk of Jobs' life, running from the founding of Apple to the introduction of the iPod.

A big-budget Jobs film is currently in the works and is being penned by Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. That film is said to play in three major "scenes" comprised entirely of backstage moments just before the unveiling of the original Mac, NeXT computer, and the iPod.

An HD version of "Jobs" can be downloaded from iTunes for $19.99, while standard definition comes in at $14.99. Rentals are also available in HD and SD for $4.99 and $3.99, respectively.

Aside from iTunes, "Jobs" is for sale on Amazon in both digital and DVD formats.

11-27-13

appleinsider.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs' Biopic Now Available to Stream on Netflix

Steve Jobs biopic, "Jobs", is now available on Netflix's streaming service for U.S. customers. Directed by Joshua Michael Stern and starring Ashton Kutcher as the Apple co-founder, the film is free for customers who subscribe to Netflix's $7.99 monthly unlimited streaming plan.

Originally released in August 2013, the independent film received mixed reviews with many critics saying the movie focused too much on Apple and not enough on the character of Jobs, providing only a "skin-deep portrait" of the complex figure who lead Apple to greatness. It earned a 27% approval rating among critics and a 41% audience approval rating on movie review site Rotten Tomatoes.

"Jobs" also can be purchased via iTunes for $19.99 in high definition or $14.99 in standard definition. A 24-hour rental option is available for $4.99 (HD) or $3.99 (SD).

3-25-14

Source

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads

Ads