Apple I Computer Auctioned Off This Friday, Could Fetch Up To $180,000

This is a discussion on Apple I Computer Auctioned Off This Friday, Could Fetch Up To $180,000 within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Apple Forums category; In the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, the author tells the story of the first Apple computer, the Apple I, created ostensibly for the ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Apple I Computer Auctioned Off This Friday, Could Fetch Up To $180,000

In the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, the author tells the story of the first Apple computer, the Apple I, created ostensibly for the Homebrew Computer Club. According the the account in the book, Steve Wozniak wanted to give it away for free to members of the club; Steve Jobs, however, had a different vision. When convinced to sell the computer, Wozniak chose the price of $666.66, one that reflected his taste for repeating numbers, not the number of the beast. This friday, that price will get a hefty upgrade.

That same computer may fetch up to $180,000 via auction house Sotheby’s when it puts a rare model of the venerable computer up for auction on Friday. The original computer was nothing like the integrated computers of today, with no keyboard or monitor; hobbyists expected to add those on their own in 1976, when the computer was first released.

This specific auction also includes manuals and supplementary materials, as well as an Apple I Cassette interface. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for a fairly well-off collector, wouldn’t you say?

From Sotheby’s web site:

LOT 57

APPLEᅠ Iᅠ COMPUTER

Operationalᅠ Appleᅠ Computerᅠ I.ᅠ ᅠ Anᅠ Appleᅠ Iᅠ motherboard,ᅠ labeledᅠ onᅠ obverseᅠ Appleᅠ Computerᅠ I,ᅠ Paloᅠ Alto,ᅠ CA.ᅠ Copyrightᅠ 1976.ᅠ Includesᅠ circuitᅠ boardᅠ withᅠ fourᅠ rowsᅠ A-D,ᅠ andᅠ columnsᅠ 1-18;ᅠ MOSᅠ Technologiesᅠ 6502ᅠ microprocessor,ᅠ labeledᅠ MCSᅠ 6502ᅠ 3776;ᅠ videoᅠ terminal;ᅠ keyboardᅠ interface;ᅠ 8Kᅠ bytesᅠ RAMᅠ inᅠ 16-pinᅠ 4Kᅠ memoryᅠ chips;ᅠ 4ᅠ powerᅠ suppliesᅠ includingᅠ 3ᅠ capacitors;ᅠ firmwareᅠ inᅠ PROMSᅠ (A1,ᅠ A2);ᅠ low-profileᅠ socketsᅠ onᅠ allᅠ integratedᅠ circuits;ᅠ breadboard;ᅠ heatsink;ᅠ expansionᅠ connector;ᅠ cassetteᅠ boardᅠ connector.ᅠ (15ᅠ 1/8ᅠ xᅠ 9ᅠ in.;ᅠ 385ᅠ xᅠ 234ᅠ mm)

6-14-12

Source

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Functioning Apple 1 Sells for $375,000 at Sotheby's Auction

A functioning Apple 1 computer, one of the first 200 computers sold by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, sold for $374,500 including the 12% buyer's premium at a Sotheby's action in New York. The Apple 1 originally sold for $666.66. The BBC notes that only about 50 Apple 1's still exist and only a handful actually work.
    Sotheby's said there was a battle between two parties for the item which also included the original manuals. A set of bids were executed by the auctioneer on behalf of an absentee collector, but a telephone bidder proved more persistent and eventually clinched the sale.

APPLE I COMPUTER

Operational Apple Computer I. An Apple I motherboard, labeledᅠon obverse AppleᅠComputer I, Palo Alto, CA. Copyright 1976. Includes circuit board with four rows A-D, and columns 1-18; MOS Technologies 6502 microprocessor, labeled MCS 6502 3776; video terminal; keyboard interface; 8K bytes RAM in 16-pin 4K memory chips; 4 power supplies including 3 capacitors; firmware in PROMS (A1, A2); low-profile sockets on all integrated circuits; breadboard; heatsink; expansion connector; cassette board connector. (15 1/8 x 9 in.; 385 x 234 mm)

Together with: Apple I Cassette Interface, labeled Apple I Cassette Interface Copyright 1976, partial "G" lettered in triangle on reverse, in black ink manuscript (4 x 2 in.; 102 x 50 mm). — Apple-I Operation Manual. Palo Alto: Apple Computer Company. 12 pp. in wrappers (11 x 8 1/2 in.; 280 x 214 mm), with 8 circuit diagrams, 2 on foldout printed verso and recto, one full page; with original Apple Computer Co. logo on upper wrapper; tear along fold, light staining on wrapper and bottom right corner. — Apple-I Cassette Interface Manual, Palo Alto: Apple Computer Company. Oblong 8 pp. bifolia (8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in.; 140 x 215 mm), with some staining to wrappers; original logo on upper wrapper, warranty onᅠlower wrapper —ᅠPreliminary Apple BASIC Users Manual. Palo Alto: Apple Computer Company, October 1976. 8ᅠstapled sheets (11ᅠx 8ᅠ1/2 in.;ᅠ280ᅠxᅠ214 mm), printedᅠversoᅠand recto, with first sheet onᅠblueᅠpaperᅠwith tear along stapleᅠandᅠmanuscript "Randy JᅠSuess."ᅠSomeᅠstaining toᅠfirstᅠandᅠlastᅠpage,ᅠwithᅠtearᅠonᅠlast page. — Double-sidedᅠadvertisement with illustration for Apple IᅠComputer and theᅠApple Cassette Interface,ᅠwith manuscriptᅠnote (11 xᅠ8ᅠ1/2 in.; 280 x 214 mm).
    Early Apple memorabilia has been a hot ticket recently. Sotheby's sold Apple's founding corporate papers -- signed by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ron Wayne -- in December for nearly $1.6 million.

6-15-12

Source

Remove Ads

Ads