Do Video Games Really Influence?

This is a discussion on Do Video Games Really Influence? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Apple Forums category; This speculation has been in the news for years now and it even went to court in California a few weeks ago. People that play ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do Video Games Really Influence?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Question Do Video Games Really Influence?

This speculation has been in the news for years now and it even went to court in California a few weeks ago. People that play video games supposedly become more aggressive or want to carry out and copy what they do on their consoles. I just recently read about the Oslo mass murderer, Anders Breivik, on a online news site (links below) and it brought it to my attention. He supposedly played Modern Warfare 2 as a "training simulator" and the way his manifesto describes his plots, it sounds like he's trying to organise his own gaming level.

Studies done by universities show no links, but gaming companies are usually told to tone the violence down by publishers and parents seem to complain when their kids play video games. In my opinion people who carry out these acts are stupid or crazy, and parents shouldn't buy their kids R rated/18+ games if they're scared of what it might do to them. What do you guys think? Is there a link, are parents and politicians right? Or as a society do we have a right to play the games we want to play and so much as a movie could trigger someone to start acting violently anyway.

So the question is, do video games really influence people (mainly the younger generation) to kill and become more aggressive?

Please try and keep politics out of this to abide with the guidelines of the forums.

--LINKS--

Anders Breivik - Did Call Of Duty Really Influence The Norway Massacre? | Reportage | Sabotage Times

Video Game Controversy - Video game controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM - July 2010 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB Black
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM

d -_- b Dre Beats Studio (White)

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think the games play a role. But it depends more on the mental stability of the individual. And also the way someone is raised and knowing that the games aren't real life. I played Grand Theft Auto and shooters my whole life basically and watched rated R movies young, and am a normal person. I haven't had any urges to steal cars and cause massive havoc to the general population.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
    I think the games play a role. But it depends more on the mental stability of the individual. And also the way someone is raised and knowing that the games aren't real life. I played Grand Theft Auto and shooters my whole life basically and watched rated R movies young, and am a normal person. I haven't had any urges to steal cars and cause massive havoc to the general population.
    I agree with you, I played GTA: San Andreas when I was only around 10 years old and didn't understand half of it, but it didn't change my mentality and I still don't want to go and kill people etc.
    iPhone 4 16GB Black

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I think people use video games as an excuse...
    iMac G4 1.0GHz PPC G4, 1.5GB RAM, iPad 16GB 4.3.3 JB, iPhone 3G 8GB 3.1.2 JB

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iJasonTATE View Post
    Especially parents, an excuse as to why they're children are acting badly.
    iPhone 4 16GB Black

DrivetheGreen66
    Quote Originally Posted by iJasonTATE View Post
    I think this is the issue. A normal person doesn't get ideas from video games.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivetheGreen66 View Post
    I think this is the issue. A normal person doesn't get ideas from video games.
    And yet in some prisons people are actually allowed to play video games. That may also influence them even if they're doing time. Prison isn't supposed to be a luxury but a place to reflect on what you've done. I still don't see how people can view games such as COD as "training simulators" or other influences.
    iPhone 4 16GB Black

Remove Ads

Ads