Forgot an OS X Lion Password? Reset it Using an Apple ID

This is a discussion on Forgot an OS X Lion Password? Reset it Using an Apple ID within the OS X How-To's, Tutorials, Tips & Tricks forums, part of the Mac OS X category; Aside from resetting a Mac OS X Lion password with the passwordreset command line tool or by creating a new user account, you can use ...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times

Forgot an OS X Lion Password? Reset it Using an Apple ID

Aside from resetting a Mac OS X Lion password with the passwordreset command line tool or by creating a new user account, you can use a new feature in OS X 10.7 that allows a user password to be reset via the accompanying Apple ID, the same Apple ID that is tied to an iCloud, iTunes, App Store, and Apple Support account.

Resetting a Lost OS X Lion Password Using an Apple ID

Understand the caveats before beginning: this method only works if you set an Apple ID to tie with the OS X user account, and this option won’t be available for users with FileVault 2 protection enabled. Also note that this leads to the creation of a new keychain, but the old keychain will remain intact if you do recall the old password sometime down the road.

After incorrectly entering a user password three times at the Mac login screen, a message appears saying “If you forgot your password, you can reset it using your Apple ID”, click the arrow button to bring up a “Reset Password” dialog

Enter the Apple ID login information that is tied to the OS X Lion user account and click “Reset Password”

Click “OK” to confirm the new keychain creation

Enter and verify a new password, fill out the password hint field, and again click on “Reset Password”

Click “Continue Log In” to login as the user account with the reset password

If there is no Apple ID attached to the user account, use the passwordreset tool or new user trick, and some of the more complex older methods from Mac OS X 10.6 continue to work as well.

11-23-11

Source

2. Ads

SDW
    Member #
    OK, so... I was half sleeping after a long day and thought I would reset my profile password for my Mac (an Imac). changed it to something that I knew I would not forget, and the next morning had forgotten it. Tried to reset it using my Apple ID, but the form would not recognize my Apple ID as being valid. I reset it a few times after getting the same message. When I try to use the new password with Apple Support Forum on the Apple site, it gives me an error message saying "an unknown error has occurred"... I can access my apple ID profile where my personal profile is, but the ID will not work on profile password reset or with the apple form community. Any ideas?

Remove Ads

Ads